Show download pdf controls
  • Indigenous helpline and free Tax Help

    Decorative image header for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples

    If you have any questions about tax or super, you can contact us for help. You may also be able to get free Tax Help during tax time.

    On this page

    When you phone or visit, we may ask for your tax file number (TFN). You don’t have to tell us, but it's easier to help you if you do. If you don't have a TFN, we can help you get one.

    We can’t give you information about someone else, even if they’re family. If you're helping a friend or family member, they must be with you when you phone or visit us, unless we already have their written permission.

    You can give permission for someone to speak to us on your behalf (see Update your contact details or authorised contacts).

    Indigenous helpline

    Our staff on the Indigenous helpline specialise in helping Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. They can help you with things like getting a TFN, lodging your tax return, or finding your super.

    Phone the Indigenous helpline on 13 10 30 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays).

    Other phone services

    If you're running a business or not-for-profit organisation or you have questions about super, you can contact us to speak to a customer service representative.

    People who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact us through the National Relay ServiceExternal Link.

    Visit us

    At our ATO shopfronts you can:

    • talk to our staff
    • register for myGov
    • use our online services
    • use our phone service to get specialist advice.

    If you need lots of help with your tax, it's best to phone us first to make a booking. Phone the Indigenous helpline on 13 10 30.

    For more information, see Visit us.

    Order forms and publications

    To order ATO forms and publications, you can:

    • phone the Indigenous helpline on 13 10 30
    • order publications online
    • phone our self-help publications ordering service on 1300 720 092 (if you know the full title or NAT number of the publication).

    Free Tax Help

    At tax time you can get free help with your tax. Our Tax Help service is for people on incomes around $60,000 or less a year. If you need help completing your tax return, our trained volunteers may be able to help you.

    Tax Help is in all capital cities and many other places in Australia from July to October each year.

    Phone the Indigenous helpline 13 10 30 for your nearest Tax Help centre.

    Find out more at Tax Help program.

    Last modified: 29 Jul 2022QC 39573