Show download pdf controls
  • Fix a mistake or amend a return

    If you realise you've made a mistake or left something out of a business or super tax return, activity statement or statement, you can fix (revise) or amend it.

    Some reasons you may need to fix a mistake include, you:

    • made a mistake in entering a figure
    • forgot to report some income, a gain or a deduction
    • incorrectly claimed deductions or credits or failed to claim them
    • had a change circumstances relating to something you reported after you lodged a tax return.

    Whatever the reason, you should correct any error as soon as possible. In some cases, there are legal time limits to correcting mistakes. You may incur interest and penalties, if the amendment increases the money you owe.

    We may review the information you provide before making any adjustments. If we need more information we will contact either you or your tax agent.

    How you can request an amendment or revision to correct a mistake depends on the lodgment type. You may also need to make a voluntary disclosure.

    If we have told you we are conducting audit or review you need to tell the tax officer conducting the audit or review about the error.

    Find out about

    Last modified: 17 Mar 2021QC 33884