ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Request an amendment to a business or super tax return

Use this information to work out how to request an amendment to your business or super tax return.

Last updated 3 June 2021

Time limits on business and super amendments

The law sets time limits for amending your tax assessment, which is generally:

  • two years for small businesses
  • two years for medium businesses for income years starting on or after 1 July 2021
  • four years for other taxpayers.

This time period starts from the day after we give you the notice of assessment for the income year in question. This is generally taken to be the date on the notice or, if we don't issue a notice, the date the relevant return was lodged.

You can submit more than one amendment request within an amendment period.

The time limit gives you certainty about your tax affairs because it means we can't amend your tax assessment after the time limit has passed. This is except in some exceptional situations such as evasion or fraud.

If you want to change a tax return after the time limit has passed, you can't request an amendment but you may be able to lodge an objection. While the time limit for lodging amendments and objections is the same, you can request an extension of time to lodge an objection in some circumstances.

See also  

How to request an amendment

Choose your entity type from the table below for instructions on how to request an amendment to a tax return.

If you're an individual or sole trader, go to Correct (amend) your tax return.

Type of taxpayer and amendment options available

Type of taxpayer

Options available

Companies, partnerships, trusts, superannuation funds other than SMSFs


Self-managed super funds (SMSFs)

All amendments must be submitted as a new Self-managed superannuation fund annual return in full, not just cover the parts you want to change.

Let us know it is an amendment by ticking 'Yes' at question 5.

If your amendment is for the 2010–11 or earlier income years, you must use the paper return Self-managed superannuation fund annual return instructions (NAT 71606) form even if your agent lodged the original return online.

Registered tax agents on behalf of any type of taxpayer


We don't charge a fee if you request an amendment and you don't have to send in another tax return unless we ask you to.

If submitting a form or letter, you should keep a copy of your request for your records. If using our online services, you'll be able to access your details at any time.

To correct an existing amount, select the relevant field and over-write the amount with the correct amount. If you need to add or delete a record, you can do that too by selecting the relevant button.

Once you revise the information, select the Calculate button and we'll work out your new amount of refund or how much you owe. You don't need to provide us with any supporting documents at the time.

Request an amendment on paper

If you can't request an amendment online, you can send us the paper form or write to us.

Find out about  

Who can sign an amendment request on paper

Who is lodging and who must sign

Who is lodging

Who must sign

Tax agent

The tax agent (who must have a declaration from you that the information you gave them was true and correct)

Legal personal representative

The representative


A partner

Trust or fund

A trustee

Company (including an incorporated club, society, association or body of persons)

The public officer (the signature of a director who is not the public officer is not sufficient)

Unincorporated association or body of persons

An office holder

What to include in your letter

Ensure you include copies of any documents that support your request as well as the following information:

  • your tax file number (TFN)
  • your full name
  • your postal address
  • a daytime phone number (if convenient)
  • your bank account details (in case you're entitled to a refund)
  • the year shown on the tax return you want to amend – for example, 2009
  • the item number and description that your change relates to
  • the amount of income or deductions to be added or subtracted and the correct total amount (if relevant)
  • the amount of tax offsets to be added or subtracted and the correct total amount (if relevant)
  • the claim type code (if there is one for the item you are changing)
  • the reason for the change or an explanation of how you made the mistake
  • a signed and dated declaration as follows – I declare that              
    • all the information I have given in this letter, including any attachments, is true and correct
    • I have the necessary receipts and/or other records to support my claims for amendment'  
  • your signature
  • the date.

Tax agents

Include your registered agent number on any amendment you submit.

Name and contact information

Make sure you include the personal information (the first three dot points above), so we can identify your return. If we have to ask for this information, it will delay processing.


We are authorised by the Taxation Administration Act 1953 to collect your TFN. You are not required by law to provide your TFN; however, providing it reduces the risk of administrative errors that may delay the processing of your amendment.

Where to send your paper request

If you can't submit your form online or your request is a letter, you or your representative should send it, including all attachments, to us by either:

  • post to
    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 3004
    PENRITH  NSW  2740
  • fax to 1300 730 239.

How we process your amendment or revision

Amendments are part of the self-assessment system. That is, just as we accept your tax return information at face value, in most cases we also accept the information in your request for an amendment.

The time it takes us to process your amendment depends on how you lodge it and whether it was as a result of a clerical or administrative error on our part (see the table below).

Amendments standard processing time

Lodgment method

Time to process (from when we receive all the necessary information)

Mail or fax

50 business days

Online (either directly or through a tax agent)

20 business days

If we need more information, we'll ask you for it.

If we refuse to process your amendment and you still want the changes made to your tax return, you can lodge an objection to the relevant assessment. We explain how to do this in the letter telling you of our decision.