Show download pdf controls
  • Support from other agencies

    Other government agencies provide support to individuals and businesses experiencing hardship from natural disasters and other difficult personal circumstances.

    Emergency payments and help from other agencies

    Other government agencies offer the following payments and support.

    Help in an emergency

    Services Australia offers help in an emergencyExternal Link for Australians recovering from major disaster or requiring emergency support for homelessness, family violence, financial hardship or bereavement.


    Services Australia offered a COVID-19 Disaster Payment for people affected by COVID-19.

    State, territory or Australian Government grants, payments and stimulus were also available for businesses.

    The COVID-19 Disaster Payment claiming period is now closed.

    Natural disasters support

    The National Emergency Management AgencyExternal Link helps Australians who have been affected by natural disasters, including floods, bushfires and drought.

    Disaster AssistExternal Link offers disaster recovery funding arrangements. This includes the Disaster Recovery Payment (DRP) and Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA).

    Recovery ConnectExternal Link is a tool that helps you find services and support to prepare for and recover from disasters and major natural events.

    Rural support

    The Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment offers drought and rural supportExternal Link for farmers and communities.

    Services Australia offers a Farm Household AllowanceExternal Link payment to farming families in financial hardship.

    Financial counselling

    For free financial counselling support available for small business owners and sole traders, phone the Small Business Debt Helpline on 1800 413 828.

    The Australian Government supports this service.

    Find out more about reporting disaster payments and grants in your tax return.

    Last modified: 11 Oct 2022QC 67559