Show download pdf controls
  • Ceasing to be a public trading trust or a corporate unit trust

    A trust that ceases to be a public trading trust, or a corporate unit trust, will cease to be treated and taxed as a corporate tax entity.

    A trust that ceases to be treated as a corporate tax entity should:

    • in the final income year of being treated as a corporate tax entity, lodge its company tax return using its current company TFN and indicate that the return is its final return
    • cancel its ABN (if it is linked to its company TFN)
    • for the following income year:  
      • apply for a new trust TFN and ABN (if it does not already have an appropriate trust TFN and ABN) and lodge a trust tax return
      • use the trust TFN and ABN for its tax and superannuation obligations.

    If the trust becomes eligible to be treated as a corporate tax entity for a later income year, it is to:

    • apply for a company TFN to lodge a company tax return for that income year
    • use its company TFN for its PAYG instalment obligations; and
    • continue to use its trust TFN and ABN for all other tax and superannuation obligations.

    The trust can apply for a new TFN and ABN at any time at Link if it does not have an existing trust TFN and ABN or an existing company TFN (as appropriate).

    Franking credits

    A trust that ceased to be taxed as a corporate tax entity as a result of the 2016 amendments which repealed Division 6B and modified Division 6C will have until 30 June 2019 to use any surplus in its franking account, provided that the trust meets any imputation integrity rules.

    When completing its trust tax return, the trust should refer to the trust tax return instructions. While required to keep records on its franking account or franking credits, the trust is not required to provide this as part of the return.

    The trust, however, must issue a distribution statement to each member who receives a distribution, showing the amount of the franking credit attached to the distribution and the extent to which it is franked. The trust is also required to include the distribution information in the Annual investment income report (AIIR).

    Unit holders

    If you are a unit holder and receive a trust distribution, you should refer to any distribution statement from the trust and complete your income tax return accordingly.

    See also:

      Last modified: 24 May 2021QC 54719