Show download pdf controls
  • Tax Help program

    Our free Tax Help program helps people earning $60,000 or less lodge their tax return online. If you need help lodging your tax return, you may be eligible for the Tax Help program.

    Due to COVID-19, lodging your tax return may have been challenging this year. Our Tax Help volunteers are available to help you until 30 November 2021.

    The deadline for lodging your tax return is 31 October 2021. If you need extra time to lodge, you should apply for 'deferral of lodgment'. To apply for a deferral, phone us before 31 October on 13 11 42.

    On this page:

    About the Tax Help program

    Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained community volunteers who can help you prepare your tax return using myTax.

    From July to October each year, our accredited volunteers help people lodge their tax returns online. Our volunteers can also help you:

    • lodge amendments
    • claim a refund of franking credits
    • create a myGov account
    • tell us if you don't need to lodge a return.

    You can receive Tax Help online or by phone. You can also get help face to face from Tax Help centres across Australia.

    Watch: About the Tax Help program

    Media: About the Tax Help program Link (Duration: 00:21)

    Eligibility for Tax Help

    You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you didn't:

    • work as a contractor – for example, a contract cleaner, taxi or uber driver
    • run a business, including as a sole trader
    • have partnership or trust matters
    • sell shares or an investment property
    • own a rental property
    • have capital gains tax (CGT)
    • receive royalties
    • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
    • receive foreign income, that is not a foreign pension or annuity.

    Make an appointment

    If you’re eligible for the Tax Help program, you will need to link your myGov account to the ATO. This information is also available in an Easy Read format – How to link your myGov account to your tax and super. Our volunteers can help you with this.

    When you are ready to make an appointment, phone us on 13 28 61 (select option 3, then option 2) for Tax Help services available to you.

    You will need to bring the following with you for your appointment:

    • your myGov user ID and password – if you are unable to locate or remember your myGov details, or don't have a myGov account, our volunteers can help
    • your mobile phone to receive your myGov access code
    • your bank account details (BSB and account number)
    • your tax file number (TFN)
    • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
    • income statements or payments summaries from all sources
    • all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
    • details of any child support payments made
    • details of your spouse's (married or de-facto) taxable income or a reasonable estimate if you had a spouse at any time during the financial year.

    See also:

    For easy to read information about doing your tax, go to:

    Last modified: 25 Oct 2021QC 32082