A myGov account lets you link to and access a range of government services online in one place.
You can create an account by selecting Continue with Digital identity if you have set up your myGovID app to at least a Standard identity strength.
You can also create a myGov account using an:
- email address that only you have access to – don't use a shared email
- Australian mobile number to receive SMS security codes to sign in.
If you don't provide an Australian mobile number, you'll need to update your myGov sign in method. You can't use Answer a secret question as your sign in method when linking to or accessing our online services.
For instructions, see our Easy Read How to create a myGov account and link to your tax and super.Create a myGov account
If you already have a myGov account but you can't sign in, go to When you can't sign in to your myGov account.
Media: Link your myGov account to the ATO
https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bd1bdiubfo8e4mExternal Link (Duration: 02:55)
Before you start trying to link:
- get the information you need to link myGov to the ATO
- check you're not using Answer a secret question as your myGov sign in method.
To link to us:
- Sign in to your myGov account.
- Select View and link services on the myGov home page.
- Under Link a service heading, select Link next to Australian Taxation Office.
- Select I agree to the terms and conditions of use.
- Enter or confirm your personal details.
- Use the information you need to link myGov to the ATO to answer 2 questions about your tax record.
- Select I agree to verifying and linking my record.
If you attempt to answer 2 questions but don't have the required information to link, a linking code option will appear. You'll need to phone us to get a unique linking code. We will need to ask you questions to establish your identity. This is to protect the privacy of your account.
To link your myGov account to us you must use one of these sign in methods:
- myGovID appExternal Link – set up to at least a Standard identity strength. A Digital ID, such as myGovID is the most secure way to access ATO online services
- Get a code by SMS using an Australian mobile number.
- myGov Code Generator appExternal Link to generate a one time code.
When you link, the sign in method you've used with the highest identity strength becomes your minimum online access strength – see Online security. This is to help protect your information and you'll use this method whenever you sign in to myGov to access ATO online services.
Use the myGovID app or myGov Code Generator app if you:
- don’t have an Australian mobile number
- are overseas
- have poor mobile reception.
Check or change your sign in method
Check and update how you sign in to myGov following these steps:
- Sign in to your myGov accountExternal Link.
- Go to My account.
- Select Account settings.
- Select Sign in options.
- To update your sign in, follow the prompts.
When changing your sign in method, you can also enable an additional sign in option as a backup.
If you have connected your myGovID to your myGov account to increase your online access strength, you need to continue using this sign in method to access ATO online services.
If you change your sign in option to Answer a secret question, your myGov account will be unlinked from the ATO as this is a less secure sign in option.
When you finish using ATO online services, return to myGov and sign out. You don't need to unlink.
If you unlink, you won't see our messages in your myGov Inbox or have access to ATO online services. To access our online services again, relink your myGov account to the ATO.
If you have trouble linking to us, check:
- your systems meet the minimum system requirements
- help and support for our online services (including error codes)
- if the system is affected by our system maintenance.