You may not be able to sign in to your myGov account because you:
- changed your mobile phone number
- went overseas and no longer have access to your Australian mobile number
- deleted the myGov Code Generator app
- can't answer your secret question
- forgot your password.
If you forget your password, reset it by selecting Forgot password on the myGov sign in page.
When you can't sign in to your myGov account, you can either:
- recover your account using myGovID
- create a new myGov account and relink to the ATO – you must use this option if you used the myGov Code Generator app to sign in.
If you used SMS security codes or Answer a secret question as your sign in method, you can use myGovID to recover your account.
To recover your myGov account, download the myGovID app and set it up to a Strong identity strengthExternal LinkOpens in a new window.
Your name, date of birth and email address for your myGov account must match the details you use to set up your myGovID.
After you set up your myGovID, you can recover your account:
- Go to the myGov sign inExternal LinkOpens in a new window page.
- Enter your username and password and select Sign in.
- Select I didn’t get my code or I can't answer my question.
- Select Continue with Digital Identity.
- Sign in with your myGovID.
Online access strength
Once you’ve recovered your account with your Strong myGovID and linked or accessed ATO online services, you’ll:
- have a Strong online access strength
- need to use your Strong myGovID whenever you sign in to myGov to access ATO online services.
This is to help protect your information and increase your online security.
Your online access strength only applies to ATO online services. It doesn't apply to your myGov account or other linked services.
If you can't recover your account using myGovID, you need to create a new myGov account and relink to the ATO.
You can choose to use a different email address when creating your new account. If you want to use the same email address, myGov help desk must release it. Contact the myGov help desk:
- In Australia. phone 13 23 07 and select option 1.
- Outside Australia, phone +61 1300 169 468.
To avoid losing access to your new myGov account, we recommend you use either themyGovID appExternal LinkOpens in a new window or myGov Code Generator appExternal LinkOpens in a new window if you:
- don't have an Australian mobile number
- are going overseas and won't have access to your Australian mobile number
- have limited mobile reception.
You can also enable a back-up sign in method:
- In myGov, go to My account.
- Select Account settings.
- Select Sign in options and follow the prompts.
If you connect your myGovID and use it to sign in and access ATO online services, your highest identity strength becomes your online access strength and you’ll use your myGovID for all future access. Go to online security for more information.