Show download pdf controls
  • Lodge a non-lodgment advice

    If you work out that you don't need to lodge a tax return, let us know so we don’t send you reminders. You can complete a non-lodgment advice online.

    Where your income is under the tax-free threshold ($18,200) and you haven't paid tax on that income, you usually don't need to lodge a tax return. However, there are certain circumstances which may apply to you that mean you do need to lodge.

    We recommend you use one of our Do I need to lodge a tax return tools to work out if you need to lodge a tax return.

    On this page:

    Lodging the non-lodgment advice

    If you work out that you don't need to lodge a tax return, you can tell us by lodging a non-lodgment advice (also known as a return not necessary).

    You can complete either:

    You can submit a non-lodgment advice online for income years dating back to 2000.

    You can also tell us that you will no longer need to lodge a return for this income year and future years by following the steps above.

    Circumstances affecting non-lodgment

    The following are common circumstances that mean you need to lodge a tax return.

    Find out about:

    Tax withheld from income under the tax-free threshold

    If you earn less than the tax-free threshold ($18,200) and pay tax of $1 or more, you can get a refund of the tax amounts. You need to lodge a tax return to receive a refund of these amounts.

    If you're a part year Australian resident, your tax-free threshold will be less than $18,200. Use the Do I need to lodge a tax return tools to work out if you need to lodge a tax return.

    If you're a foreign resident with $1 or more Australian taxable income, you must lodge a tax return.

    Living overseas with a study and training support loans

    If you live outside of Australia and have a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), VET Student Loan (VSL) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt owing to the Australian government, you have the same repayment obligations for these loans as people who live in Australia. These repayment obligations must be met.

    If you earn income, you must report your worldwide income by lodging online or using a registered Australian tax agent.

    See also:

    Centrelink clients

    If you receive family assistance payments (such as Family Tax Benefit or Child Care Subsidy), you need to provide your family income to Centrelink.

    To meet your tax obligations, you need to complete the following processes with us depending on your circumstances:

    • lodge an income tax return (if required)
    • lodge a non-lodgment advice with us.

    You will also need to advise Centrelink if you and your spouse don’t need to lodge a tax return (if applicable) and confirm income for you and your spouse. You can use either your Centrelink online account or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app to provide this information.

    If you are receiving Child Care Subsidy, Centrelink require income for any spouse you had during the year and have separated from. If you have concerns about confirming their income, phone the Centrelink Families lineExternal Link to discuss options.

    Child support (liable and recipient parent)

    If you were a liable or recipient parent under a child support assessment, you must lodge a tax return unless both of the following apply:

    • you receive government benefits for the entire income year
    • your income was less than $26,319.

    Active ABN, pay as you go withholding or instalments

    You will not be able to complete a non-lodgment advice if our records show that during the income year, you:

    • had an active ABN
    • report pay as you go withholding
    • had pay as you go instalments

    You need to either:

    • lodge a tax return
    • cancel your business registrations from the date you ceased trading.

    See also:

    Franking credits refund

    If you receive franking credits on your dividends and are not required to lodge a tax return, you can still claim a refund of your franking credits.

    See also:

    Find out about:

    Last modified: 17 May 2021QC 63269