We support electronic channels for the two-way transfer of files between the ATO and external partners.
The most widely used channels for exchanging data are the:
- Data transfer facility – for ad hoc data exchanges and some regular transfers using our secure mailbox
- File transfer function – for regular data and reports using our online services.
The data transfer facility (DTF) provides a secure and efficient way of exchanging large volumes of information below a 'protected' security classification.
Users connect to the DTF through their internet browser using authentication details (their user ID and password) provided by us.
- Once you have access, external parties can access the DTF through our website https://datatransfer.ato.gov.auExternal Link.
The DTF is mostly used to support ad hoc bulk data exchanges – that is, files are loaded to a secure mailbox from which they can be accessed by the recipient. It is also used to send data to us where the file type is not supported by the file transfer function.
The DTF is used for some regular data transfers where there are no other enterprise solutions available, such as the distribution of Australian Business Register (ABR) data to government agencies, and to send some superannuation-related data to super funds and their administrators.
The DTF enables you to:
- transact in a secure online environment
- log in securely, with a user ID and password authentication
- receive confirmation that your data has been received
- upload large files (up to 2GB)
- exchange most file types.
- Internet Explorer version 6 or later is recommended
- Compatible with WinZip and PKZip file compression tools
- Supports files up to 2GB
To lodge files using the DTF you need to obtain a user ID and password. Each user in your organisation will need to register and have a separate user ID.
To obtain a user ID and password, please send a request to ATOBulkDataTransfer@ato.gov.au or contact your liaison officer to arrange access.
Password resets and account unlocks
To request a password reset or account unlock, please submit a request via the email link below.
Ensure the following details are included in your email before submitting to DTFPasswordResets@ato.gov.auExternal Link
- Contact name (Must be affiliated to account)
- Account user ID
- Email address
- Contact mobile number (Australian mobile numbers only)
- Is the account locked or do you require a password reset (Select 1)
Requests are actioned between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm AEDT, Monday to Friday. For any further support, please contact us via the details below in Help and Support.
For help and support using the DTF, including password resets, you can contact us by sending an email to ATO Bulk Data Transfer.
The file transfer function is the preferred channel to support the cyclical exchange of structured data such as:
- annual investment income report (AIIR)
- payment summary annual report (PSAR)
- quarterly tax file number (TFN) declaration (QTFN)
- superannuation member contributions statement (MCS)
- taxable payments annual report (TPAR)
- TFN declaration.
The file transfer function allows you to test and lodge files that have been created from your software.
When you submit your file, you will receive on-screen confirmation that your file has been received. Your file will be validated to ensure it is compatible and you can download a validation report to see if the file has been successfully lodged or tested, successfully lodged with warnings or rejected due to errors.
Other key features include:
- the ability to upload large files without needing to split the file
- the option to send multiple files as a single compressed file
- reduced upload time if the file is compressed before submitting
- an easy to use, fast and efficient service
- reduced risk of errors and faster processing times than paper or electronic media
- a service that it is provided free of charge, with help available to answer your technical queries.
Note: You can't lodge scanned images or forms, screen prints, spreadsheets and word processing files (for example, .pdf, .doc, .xls, .jpg, .tif) via the file transfer function.
- You can access the file transfer function through the