Data matching is a powerful administrative and law enforcement tool. Information from a variety of third-party sources is compiled electronically, validated, analysed and used for a range of education and compliance activities.
Data matching allows us to:
- pre-fill tax returns, making it easier for everyone to lodge their tax
- reassure the community that we protect honest people and businesses from unfair competition
- ensure people and businesses
- lodge tax returns and activity statements when required to do so
- correctly declare their income and claim offsets and other benefits
- comply with their obligations.
- detect people and businesses operating outside the tax system
- detect fraud against the Commonwealth
- recover debt.
We run our data matching programs throughout the year, specifically when you lodge your tax return as well as after you receive your tax assessment.
- Legislated data collection
- Sources of third-party information
- Validating the data we receive
- Your privacy
- Data-matching programs
- Exchanging data with other Australian Government agencies
- How we use data and analytics
https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bd1bdiunb67yfdExternal Link (Duration: 01:02)