• Simplified fuel tax credits

    If you claim less than $10,000 in fuel tax credits each year, you can now choose simpler ways to keep records and calculate your claim.

    For the BAS period ending 31 March 2016 and onwards, you can:

    You can choose to use either or both of these methods that best suits your needs and can change them at any time. You do not need to register or tell us that you are using these methods.

    You can also use a range of documents to support your fuel tax credit claims for your past and future BAS.

    Use one rate in a BAS period

    When there is a change of rate during the BAS period (eg in February and August), you can calculate your fuel tax credit claim by using the rate that applies at the end of the period.

    There is no need to split your fuel purchases during the period and use two different rates. Simply total your litres for the period and use the rate that is current on the last day of the BAS period to work out your claim.

    To do this in the Fuel tax credit calculator, at the claimable fuel used section enter:

    • '0' in the first rate period
    • your total fuel purchases in the final rate period.

    See also:

    Work out your litres

    To work out the quantity of fuel you purchased in a tax period, you can simply use the total cost of fuel you purchased in the BAS period, divided by the average price per litre for the BAS period.

    You calculate your litres as follows:

    Litres  =  Total cost of fuel purchased
                    Average price of fuel

    Find the average weekly retail fuel price for your area from: aip.com.au/pricing/retail.htmExternal Link

    Once you have the total litres for the BAS period you can calculate your claim using the Fuel tax credit calculator.

    See also:

    Documents to support your claim

    You can use a range of documents to support your claim and entitlement for a fuel tax credit. You need to keep these for five years.

    These documents must show that the quantity of fuel claimed was used in your business.

    Accepted documents include:

    • contractor statements
    • financial institution business credit/debit account statement
    • financial institution personal credit/debit account statement
    • point-of-sale docket
    • fuel supplier statement or invoice.

    See also:

    Heavy vehicles used mainly off public roads

    If you use certain heavy vehicles mainly off public roads, you no longer need to apportion on and off-road travel when calculating your fuel tax credit claim.

    Your vehicle may be on the list we’ve created of heavy vehicles we consider are used off public roads – for example, a harvester or backhoe. Starting from your March BAS period onwards, you can claim all fuel used at the 'all other business uses' rate, even if you sometimes drive the vehicle on a public road.

    See also:

    Last modified: 11 May 2016QC 48520