If you provide a payroll service, you will need to use Single Touch Payroll (STP)-enabled software to report for your clients.
A payroll service may include:
- processing payroll on behalf of an employer
- performing payroll-related functions, such as
- interpreting legislation
- helping employers calculate pay as you go (PAYG) withholding and super guarantee liabilities.
You need to take the following steps before you can report through STP on behalf of your clients:
You must be a registered agent. To register, complete an online application and provide supporting documentation to the Tax Practitioners BoardExternal Link.
To lodge an STP report on your client's behalf, you need to be linked to them in our system. We will not accept STP reports you lodge on behalf of an employer unless the right link is in place.
Most registered agents will already have an existing link on the entity's record at the client, account or role level.
There can only be one registered agent per Australian business number (ABN) at each level (client, account or role level). However, the registered agent at each level may be different.
If you’re already linked to your client, you can lodge STP reports on their behalf. If you’re providing a payroll service only for your clients, you will need to 'Add payroll only client'. You can do this through Online service for agents.
If you're using online or cloud-based software to report STP for you or your clients, you need to notify us of the unique software ID.
To make sure we receive the STP report, you will need to provide the correct software ID:
- Use your own unique software ID – if you will be lodging STP reports for your clients. Your software ID will be connected to your registered agent number (RAN) and ABN.
- Use your client's unique software ID – if they will be lodging their own STP reports and you are only assisting them to get ready or you are lodging on their behalf as a user. Your client's software ID will be connected to their business ABN.
How to notify us
You can complete a one-off notification using Access Manager. Log in to Access Manager and follow the steps to Add, Modify or Notify us of your hosted SBR software services using My hosted SBR software services.
You can also:
- phone us on 1300 85 22 32
- complete a bulk notification request to notify us of multiple software IDs.