ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Claiming your additional fuel tax credit for this period

Work out if you're providing a car fringe benefit, what this means and what records to keep.

Last updated 15 August 2016

On 18 July 2014, legislation was enacted to repeal the carbon charge and this took effect retrospectively from 1 July 2014.

If you have already lodged your business activity statement (BAS) for the period ending 31 July 2014, then you may have claimed using a lower rate because the fuel you claimed was reduced by the carbon charge. If you did, you can claim the additional fuel tax credits for this period.

Use our fuel tax credit calculator to calculate the additional fuel tax credits you can claim for the carbon charge component you have already paid, by following the process outlined below.

Step 1: Select ‘Calculate an adjustment or correction for a previous BAS’

Step 2: Enter the BAS cycle applicable to the July 2014 period (monthly, quarterly or annual)

Step 3: Enter 1 July 2014 as the BAS cycle start date

Step 4: Select ‘Yes’ to the question ‘Do you wish to make a carbon charge adjustment for a previously lodged BAS?’

Step 5: Click on ‘ADD’

Step 6: Enter the fuel type and original claim amount

Step 7: Select ‘Save’

Step 8: Select ‘Calculate’

The 'Results' screen will display the amounts to record at labels 7D and 7C on your BAS.

By including these amounts at 7D and 7C on your BAS you will be paid the difference between the carbon reduced rate, and the full rate on the fuel you have previously claimed during the period from 1 July 2014 to 31 July 2014.