ato logo
Search Suggestion:


Last updated 5 October 2009

This guide will help you complete:

If you sold or otherwise disposed of shares or units in a unit trust (including a managed fund) in 2005-06, read part A of this guide, then work through part B.

If you received a distribution of a capital gain from a managed fund in 2005-06, read part A of this guide, then work through part C.

Managed funds include property trusts, share trusts, equity trusts, growth trusts, imputation trusts and balanced trusts.

Small business CGT concessions

If you are involved in the sale of shares or units for a small business, you may wish to read Guide to capital gains tax concessions for small business (NAT 8384).

Investments in foreign hybrids

If you have an investment in a foreign hybrid, the tax treatment from 1 July 2003 or, optionally, from 1 July 2002 has changed. A foreign hybrid is an entity that was taxed in Australia as a company but taxed overseas as a partnership.

General value shifting regime (GVSR)

If you own shares in a company or units (or other fixed interests) in a trust and value has been shifted in or out of your shares or units, you may be affected by value shifting rules. Generally, the rules only affect individuals who control the company or trust, or individuals who are related to individuals or entities that control the company or trust.

For more information, see General value shifting regime – who it affects.