ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Do you need to ask for a private ruling?

Last updated 7 April 2020

If you are concerned about the way a tax law applies to your personal tax affairs, you can ask for a private ruling by completing an Application for a private ruling for individuals. (NAT 74957) You should lodge your tax return by the due date, even if you are waiting for the reply to your application. You may need to request an amendment to your tax return once you have received the private ruling.

We publish all private rulings on our website. What we publish will not contain anything that could identify you. For more information on private rulings, including the application form, visit the Tax Office website at