ato logo

Application for a Customs periodic settlement permission

How to complete the application for a Customs periodic settlement permission.

Last updated 31 July 2023

How to get the application form

To obtain a copy of the Customs periodic settlement permission (NAT 75517) PDF form, you need to contact us.

When to use this form

Use this form to apply for a permission to periodically report and pay duty on excise equivalent goods (EEGs) (excluding tobacco) and like customable goods (including wine) after they have been delivered into the Australian domestic market.

A periodic settlement permission (PSP) is usually weekly. However, if you are eligible for the small business entity concession you may be able to apply for a longer settlement period. The concession is available if you have an aggregated annual turnover of less than $50 million.

Eligible businesses can apply for a monthly PSP for EEGs and like customable goods. From 1 July 2023, eligible businesses can apply for a quarterly PSP for EEGs (not like customable goods) which will better align the timing of customs obligations with BAS obligations.

You must meet a number of conditions to be granted permission to change your lodgment and payment cycle to quarterly. Ensure all your lodgments and payments are up to date when you apply. We will assess applications on a case-by-case basis.

We may ask you to give us more information or lodge a financial security.

A PSP for EEGs and like customable goods can only be provided to the owner of the goods who must be registered in the Integrated Cargo SystemExternal Link (ICS). To register in the ICS, contact the Department of Home AffairsExternal Link.


Excise equivalent goods include the following goods which have been imported into Australia:

  • alcohol and alcohol products
  • fuel and petroleum based products.

By alcohol and alcohol products we mean goods such as:

  • beer
  • spirits
  • premixed drinks known as ready-to-drink (RTD) beverages
  • brewed beverages that are not beer
  • high strength spirit for non-beverage use, including denatured spirit.

It does not include wine and other alcoholic beverages subject to wine equalisation tax (WET).

By fuel and petroleum based products we mean goods such as:

  • crude oil and condensate
  • petroleum fuels – such as petrol, diesel
  • bio-fuels – such as biodiesel, ethanol
  • solvents – such as white spirits, mineral turpentine
  • lubricants – such as oils and greases
  • gaseous fuels – such as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), liquefied natural gas (LNG) and compressed natural gas (CNG).

Like customable goods are all other imported goods that are subject to customs duties, including customable wine products.

Deliver into the Australian domestic market is when:

  • Excise equivalent goods (alcohol, fuel and petroleum based products) are released into domestic consumption. The term in the legislation is 'deliver for home consumption'.
  • This includes
    • delivering the goods away from the licensed premises
    • using the goods yourself
    • selling the goods for consumption on site.

Help completing the form

These instructions will help you complete the application form.

Type of application

Do you have an existing PSP?

Indicate whether you have an existing PSP.

You may need to complete the Customs registration form (NAT 75531) if you do not hold an existing licence or permission.

If you have an existing PSP, provide your permission number.

Is this application in relation to EEGs or like customable goods?

Indicate if the goods you wish to report and pay under a PSP are EEGs or like customable goods as defined.

What type of goods are you applying for a PSP to deliver?

Indicate the specific type of goods you are applying for a PSP to deliver.

Are you eligible for the small business entity concession?

Indicate whether your business is a small business entity, that is, your business turnover (aggregated annual turnover) is less than $50 million. If you are entitled to the small business concession, you can choose a longer settlement period.

If eligible for the small business entity concession, indicate which settlement period you wish to apply for:

  • weekly, monthly or quarterly for EEGs
  • weekly or monthly for customable wine.

What is the first day of your proposed weekly settlement period (weekly PSP only)?

If you are applying for weekly settlement, indicate the day you would like to start your weekly settlement period. You need to lodge your return, report and pay your duty on your excise equivalent goods or WET on customable wine delivered during the period by the first business day after the end of the settlement period.

For example, if your first day of your weekly settlement period is Monday 3 July, your settlement period will be Monday 3 July to Sunday 9 July. Your return and payment will be due on Monday 10 July.

Permission holder details

Who will be the permission holder?

Provide the legal name of the person, partnership or company the permission will be granted to, their Australian business number (ABN) and contact details. Provide an email address if you would like to correspond by email.

If you hold a Customs licence, provide the licence number and your establishment ID.

Contact details

Who do you nominate as the person for us to contact?

Provide the name, position held and contact details of the person who can provide more information about this application. This could be yourself as the applicant, or other people you nominate. Provide an email address if the contact has authorised to correspond with us by email.

Details of goods

What quantity of goods do you expect to deliver each year?

List the tariff item, product description and quantity of goods you expect to deliver into the Australian domestic market each year for EEGs and like customable goods. For alcohol goods include the package type and size and the alcohol strength.

If there is insufficient space, attach a separate page with the relevant details.

What is the estimated annual duty and/or wine equalisation tax (WET)?

Provide an estimate of the annual duty for EEGs and WET for like customable goods that will be reported and paid under the PSP.

Licensed premises details

Provide details of the licensed premises

Provide details of the licensed premises from which the goods will be delivered into the Australian domestic market. Include in your application:

  • name of the licence holder for the premises
  • ABN of the licence holder
  • customs licence number
  • establishment ID of the premises (alphanumeric)
  • establishment street address.

If the premises is not operated by you or a related entity, you must attach a letter from the operator of the premises stating they will allow you to deliver the goods into the Australian domestic market from their premises.

We cannot process your application without this letter.

The delivering premises letter must:

  • be signed and dated by the operator of the delivering premises, and
  • contain the information in the following template example.
Template of delivering premises letter

We request (PSP holder’s name) includes the following premises in Column 1 of the Schedule to their PSP, as a place specified from which they are permitted to deliver the specified goods.


The type of goods specified is (type of goods)


We require the PSP holder to provide us with a copy of the PSP and to inform us if it is revoked or cancelled.


The PSP holder is responsible for reporting and paying any Customs duty liability.


Our records are suitable for recording goods delivered into the Australian domestic market without entry.


We understand the provisions and requirements of section 69 of the Customs Act 1901.


Full details of our premises are:

  • (Name of the licence holder of the premises)
  • (ABN of the licence holder)
  • (Customs licence number)
  • (Customs establishment ID)
  • (Establishment street address)


Record keeping systems

Indicate if your records include the information listed in the form. You may be asked to provide us with sample pages of your record keeping system.


You, or a person who is authorised to act on your behalf (an authorised contact), must complete the declaration. If the applicant is a business entity, the declaration can only be completed by a primary contact or a person authorised by a primary contact.

If you lodge this application through Online services for business, your electronic credential will be accepted as your electronic signature.

Lodging your application

Before you lodge your application form, make sure you have completed all the relevant sections and attached the following letters:

  • authorisation letter from the owner of the goods, if the permission holder is their agent
  • authorisation letter from the permission holder, if you act as their agent
  • delivering premises' letter, if applicable.

Keep a copy of your completed application for your records. Lodge the original through either:

  • secure mail in Online services for business
  • practice mail in Online services for agents
  • mail to

Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3514

Lodge through Online services for business

Lodging through Online services for business is more secure and will be processed faster than lodging by mail.

Follow these steps to lodge through secure mail in Online services for business:

  1. Fill in the application form.
  2. Save the completed form as a PDF to your computer.
  3. Log in to Online services for business.
  4. Select Communication, then Secure mail.
  5. Create a New message.
  6. Select View more topics from the Topic list.
  7. Select Excise from the Other topics list.
  8. Select Permission – Movement and periodic settlement from the Subject list.
  9. Attach the application form and any attachments.
  10. Provide your contact details and complete the declaration.
  11. Select Send.

You'll receive a receipt number once you've lodged your application.

Tracking your application progress

You can track the progress of your application in Online services for business.

Select Your dealings from the Communications menu.

Lodge through Online services for agents

Follow these steps to lodge through practice mail in Online services for agents:

  1. Select Communication, then Practice mail.
  2. Create a New message.
  3. Select View more topics from the Topic list.
  4. Select Excise from the Other topics list.
  5. Select Alcohol enquiry or Petroleum enquiry from the Subject list.
  6. Select I am enquiring on behalf of client from Enquiry type.
  7. Search for and select your client.
  8. Attach the application form and any attachments.
  9. Provide your contact details and complete the declaration.
  10. Select Send.

You will receive a receipt number once the message has successfully been sent.

Service standards

You can expect a decision on your application within 28 days of us receiving all the necessary information.

If your application is incomplete, we will contact you for more information. If the information we need isn't provided after a reasonable period, we'll ask you to reapply when you can provide it.

Contact us

If you need more information, you can contact us.