ato logo

Completing your 2012 individual income tax return

Instructions to help you complete your income tax return for individuals. NAT 71050.

Last updated 13 June 2019

To lodge your 2012 tax return by mail, you can use the paper Tax return for individuals and the Individuals tax return instructions.

If you do not need to lodge a tax return for the 2011–12 income year, you will need to notify us of this.

See also:

Individual tax return instructions supplement

The supplementary section of the tax return contains items that are used by a relatively small number of taxpayers. To find out whether you will need these instructions, refer to Will you need the Individual tax return instructions supplement?

For more comprehensive information about the questions asked in the supplementary section of your tax return, refer to Supplementary tax return.

Other schedules

Referred publications

Not everything can be covered in Individual tax return instructions. Sometimes, you will be referred to other publications that will help you to understand your tax obligations and complete your tax return. Some publications are essential to complete some items.

All the publications and rulings referred to in Individual tax return instructions are listed in Referred publications 2012.

Contact us

You can phone us if you need assistance with a question in Individual tax return instructions 2012 or Individual tax return instructions supplement 2012, or another matter concerning your tax affairs. If you decide to phone us, please have the instructions handy.

Next step:

Ask for a taxation ruling

If you have a complex enquiry about your tax affairs, you may want to ask for a private ruling.

A private ruling relates only to your particular situation. Your tax return should reflect what the private ruling says. You may need to change your tax return if you lodge it before you receive your private ruling.

We publish all private rulings on our internet site. What we publish will not contain anything which could identify you.

You can ask for a review of your private ruling if you disagree with it even if you have not yet received your assessment. You can find out more about objection procedures from the ATO branch that made your ruling.

Next step:

Oral rulings

We provide oral rulings on non-complex individual non-business enquiries.

You can apply for an oral ruling by phone. To do so you will need to confirm your identity. Your tax file number and most recent notice of assessment will usually be sufficient proof of identity.

We will confirm your eligibility for an oral ruling by asking you a series of questions to confirm that your enquiry is eligible to be ruled on.

To get further information on oral rulings, or to apply for a ruling, phone us on 13 28 61.