ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Objection form – for tax professionals

If you're a tax professional, use this objection form to lodge an objection on behalf of your client.

Last updated 23 July 2023

Lodge an objection

Before lodging an objection, you need to:

Lodge your objection using Online services for agentsExternal Link (OSfA) by:

  • going to Reports and forms on the Practice level menu
  • selecting Lodge an objection
  • entering the required information
  • selecting the Declaration tick box, then Submit.

If you're not registered, view our Online services for agents page for more information. Alternatively, we have a PDF form you can download and complete.

How to get the form

Double clicking the form won't open it. The form will not load on a mobile device, tablet or within a browser.

To complete the form, you must save it to your desktop computer or laptop (with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat installed).

Tip: Update your default app for pdf file types to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to open all pdf files with Adobe Acrobat.


Objections lodged using OSfA don't have to be physically signed by the taxpayer or the registered tax agent, as they are lodged using your approved electronic signature.

When you lodge an objection using OSfA, you'll need to tick the declaration tick box before you submit the form.

Additional information

When looking into your objection, we may still contact you to give more information to help us make a decision. We may send you a secure message, through Practice mail or your preferred communication channel, that will confirm what information you can provide.

You'll need to make sure you're set up to receive an email notification to advise when we have sent you a message.

Submit additional information

To provide additional information to a submitted objection, use the Submit further information for lodged private ruling/objection form and existing receipt number.

Log in to Online services for agents and go to Reports and forms, then:

  • select Submit further information for lodged private ruling/objection (the form will open)
  • complete the required fields
  • attach any additional evidence or supporting documents
  • select the Declaration and Submit.

If you can't access this form, you can write your objection in a letter to us. If you write an objection letter, review this information carefully so your objection is valid.