About these instructions
These instructions will help you complete the Partnership tax return 2021 (NAT 0659).
To download a PDF copy of the tax return or order a copy through our publication ordering service, go to Partnership tax return 2021.
You do not need to lodge a partnership tax return if you were not in a partnership carrying on a business or where the only income you derived jointly (or in common) with another person was:
- rent from a jointly owned investment property
- interest from a jointly held account
- dividends from jointly held shares.
In these instances, each individual shows their share of the income and expenses at the appropriate items on their own individual tax return.
These instructions include:
- What's new? – any changes in legislation over 2020–21 that you need to take into consideration when you complete the tax return
- Instructions – information to help you complete each item on the partnership tax return, including partnership information, items 1–53 and the declaration
- Schedules – the information and schedules that your partnership might need to complete and attach to the tax return
- Worksheets – to help work out amounts to include in your tax return
- Appendixes – additional information about the reporting requirements in your tax return
When we say you or your business in these instructions, we mean either:
- you as a business entity (the partnership) that conducts a business
- you as the tax agent responsible for completing the tax return.
These instructions are not a guide to income tax law. Ask us or a recognised tax adviser for help that these instructions do not fully cover your circumstances.
When we refer to a publication or the associated instructions, we link to the page where you are able to download a copy or access the web content. You can also order most publications through our publications ordering serviceThis link opens in a new window.
Find out about: