ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Instructions for refund of franking credits: NFP endorsed entities 2015 – 2016

Instructions for application for refund of franking credits for endorsed not-for-profits for 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016 (NAT 4131).

Last updated 9 February 2017

Use the Application for refund of franking credits 2016 form (NAT 4131) if your organisation is an eligible organisation and one of the following applies.

Your organisation was:

  • paid franked dividends on, or between, 1 July 2015 and 30 June 2016
  • entitled to franked distributions from one or more trusts for the year ended 30 June 2016.

Note: We will send your organisation a personalised refund application form in June of each year if you applied for and received a refund in the previous year. If you have not received a form or need a replacement form or you want to apply, phone us on 1300 130 248.

Eligibility for a refund

Your organisation is eligible for a refund if you meet the residency requirements, and you are:

  • a charity registered by the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) and endorsed by us as exempt from income tax
  • an income tax exempt deductible gift recipient endorsed by us in your own right
  • an income tax exempt deductible gift recipient listed by name in the tax law
  • an income tax exempt relief fund declared by the Treasurer to be a developing country relief fund
  • a prescribed income tax exempt entity eligible for a refund under relevant regulations.

You meet the residency requirements if you have a physical presence in Australia at all times during the relevant income year. You must also incur your expenditure and pursue your objectives principally in Australia.

All eligible organisations must meet the residency requirements. This is except for deductible gift recipients listed by name in the tax law and developing country relief funds declared by the Treasurer.

If the franked dividends your organisation was paid (or the franked distributions your organisation was entitled to) were for an earlier income year, you need to use a different application form. Phone us on 1300 130 248.

Note: Do not use this form if you are an individual claiming a refund of franking credits in your own capacity, or you are not an income tax exempt organisation. You will need to use the Application for refund of franking credits for individuals application form. Refer to Refund of franking credits instructions and application for individuals 2016.

See also:

How to complete and lodge your application form

Complete your application form in full by following the instructions below. You will avoid delays in processing your organisation's application.

We may have pre-filled some of your organisation's details on your application form. Notify us in writing if any of these details are incorrect.

If you need help filling out the application form, phone us on 1300 130 248.

See also:

View the sample application for refund of franking credits (NAT 4131) (PDF 225KB)This link will download a file. This application form is provided as a 'sample only'. Do not complete and submit this copy of the form.

Name of organisation

Make sure the name of the organisation provided is your organisation's full legal name.

If your organisation's name has changed, send written advice of the change to:

Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3373

Postal address

Make sure the postal address provided is your organisation's address for the service of notices.

If the address is incorrect, provide the correct address for service of notices in the space provided on the form.

Franked dividend, trust distribution and franking credit details

To complete this section, you will need:

  • dividend statements for dividends paid to your organisation from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016
  • distribution statements from fund managers and trustees provided to your organisation for distribution entitlements for the income year ended 30 June 2016.

At label A, provide the total of the following:

  • Franked amounts from dividend statements, including those amounts paid from a New Zealand (NZ) company – if you were paid a dividend from the NZ company with an attached Australian franking credit.
  • Franked distribution amounts from distribution statements from a trust or managed fund.

Do not include the amount of any franking credit at label A.

In particular, if the amount of your distribution from a trust or managed fund includes the amount of any franking credit in the distribution amount, the amount to be included at label A must be reduced by the franking credit amount.

At label B, provide the total franking credits attached to the following:

  • dividends, including Australian franking credits attached to dividends paid from a NZ company
  • franking credits included in distribution statements from trusts and managed funds.

At label C, add the amounts at label A and label B.

At label D, provide taxable or net income.

At label E, provide tax payable.

You must be income tax exempt to be eligible to complete this form, so we have prefilled labels D and E with ‘00’. If you have any taxable net income or tax payable you are not eligible to use this form.

Do not include any NZ franking credits.

If the NZ company that paid the dividend has not specified the franking credit is Australian, you should contact the company to work out if it is an Australian or NZ franking credit. In most cases, if it is not specified as Australian, it will be a NZ franking credit.

Do not show cents at any label.

You should keep dividend and distribution statements provided to your organisation. Do not send them to us with your application form. If we need more information, we will ask you.

Electronic funds transfer

Complete the electronic funds transfer (EFT) details on the application form to have your organisation's refund paid directly to its Australian financial institution account.

If you don't complete the EFT details, your organisation will receive a refund cheque in the mail.

We need your financial institution details, even if you have provided them before.

Complete the following EFT details:

  • bank state branch (BSB) number – this six-digit number identifies the financial institution (do not include spaces or hyphens)
  • account number – this should not have more than nine characters (do not include spaces)
  • account name – in most cases, your account name should be shown on your bank account records. It should include spaces between each word and between initials. If your account name exceeds 32 characters, provide the first 32 characters only.

To ask about the progress of your refund, phone us on 1300 130 248.


We are authorised by taxation law to collect the information on this form and disclose it to other government agencies. This includes the personal information of the person authorised to sign the declaration. For more information, refer to our Privacy policy.


The declaration must be read, signed and dated (after completion of the application) by the authorised person for the organisation. Such a person might include:

  • the trustee of the trust
  • an office holder of the association or organisation
  • a director of the company
  • the company secretary
  • the public officer of the company.

Incomplete declaration details may delay the processing of your organisation's application.

Before signing the declaration, make sure your organisation has the necessary records to support its application for a refund of franking credits.

How to lodge your application

Send the completed application form to us on or after 1 July 2016, by either:

  • mail to
    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 1032
    ALBURY NSW 2640
  • fax to 1300 130 900.

Only the original application form will be accepted.

Note: this application cannot be lodged electronically (using the practitioner lodgment service).

We will process your organisation's application form within 28 days. This is provided it is completed correctly and sent to the above address or fax number. If you send the application to any other address, processing may be delayed.

How to change your application

If your organisation needs to change the franked dividend or franked distribution details or any franking credit details it lodged with us, write to us explaining the change and reason for the change. Do not lodge another application.

So we may address your request, your letter must be signed and dated by the authorised person of your organisation and include your organisation's:

  • full name
  • postal address
  • contact phone number
  • Australian business number (ABN).