Guide to capital gains tax 2014
About this guide
This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.
End of attention
The Guide to capital gains tax 2014 explains how capital gains tax (CGT) works and will help you calculate your net capital gain or net capital loss for 2013–14 so you can meet your CGT obligations. There are links to worksheets in this guide to help you do this.
This guide is not available in print or as a downloadable PDF (Portable Document Format) document.
Who should use this guide?
An individual, company, trust or superannuation fund can use this guide to work out their CGT obligations.
Individuals may prefer to use the shorter, simpler Personal investors guide to capital gains tax 2014 (NAT 4152) if, during 2013–14, they only:
- sold some shares
- sold some units in a managed fund, or
- received a distribution of a capital gain from a managed fund.
A company, trust or superannuation fund may be required to complete and lodge a Capital gains tax (CGT) schedule 2014 (NAT 3423) (CGT schedule) as explained in Part C.
If you have a small business, you should get the publication Guide to capital gains tax concessions for small business 2014 (NAT 8384).
This guide does not deal fully with the CGT position of:
- an individual or entity whose gains or losses are included as part of its income under other provisions of the tax law, for example from carrying on a business of share trading, see Carrying on a business of share trading
- an individual or entity that is not an Australian resident for tax purposes
- a company that is the head company of a consolidated group. The rules that apply to members of a consolidated group modify the application of the CGT rules. For more information about the consolidation rules go to Consolidation.
Publications and services
To find out how to obtain a publication referred to in this guide, see Publications and rulings. For information about our other services, see More information.
Last modified: 01 Sep 2014QC 39804