Australian residents can apply for a TFN at any age. It is free to apply for a TFN.
Use the online application process through
- myGovID – if you're an Australian citizen, 15 years old or older and have an Australian passport
- Australia post – if you're able to attend an interview and present your identity documents.
However, if you don't have enough identity documents for other application processes, you will need to apply by post.
If you don't have enough identity documents to apply for a TFN through other application processes, you can apply by post using the paper form.
To get a copy of the form (Tax file number – application for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (NAT 1589)), you can:
- order online or by phone through the ATO Publication Ordering Service
- phone the Indigenous helpline 13 10 30.
You'll need to ask a referee who has known you for 12 months or more to complete the proof of identity reference on page 7 of the form.
Proof of identity
You will need to provide referee details on page 7 of the form to confirm your identity. This must be an authorised referee, examples include:
- a council chairperson
- a community manager
- a school principal
- a minister of religion
- a doctor
- a senior nursing sister
- an authorised government officer, such as a
- police officer
- Services Australia agent
You can lodge this form by post using the address on the form or at a Services Australia centreExternal Link, if you're a Services Australia customer.How Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can apply for a TFN if you don't have enough identity documents.