ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Work out if you need to lodge a tax return

Use our Do I need to lodge a tax return tool? to check if you need to lodge a tax return.

Last updated 30 May 2023

Options to work out if you need to lodge

To work out if you need to lodge a tax return, you need to consider your personal circumstances. You can use either:

Authenticated tool through online services for individuals

You can access an authenticated version of the Do I need to lodge tool in ATO online services. You need the ATO linked to your myGov account.

If you don't already have a myGov account, to access and use our online services you will need to create an account. Then link the ATO to your myGov account.

This version is available for the 2018–19 income year onwards. It can give you a more accurate result because it uses information we already know about you from our systems.

To use this version, you will need to sign in to your myGov account then:

  • select, ATO from your linked services
  • select Manage tax returns
  • select Not lodged tab
  • under the heading 'Outcome' select Do I need to lodge? for the relevant income year.

Web version of the tool

Alternatively, you can use the web version of the tool, Do I need to lodge a tax return?

The web tool is available for the current income year and prior income years back to 2013–14.

When you do and don't need to lodge

You must lodge a tax return if any of the following apply to you. You:

  • had tax withheld from any payments (such as wages) made to you during the income year
  • are an Australian resident and your taxable income was more than the tax-free threshold ($18,200)
  • are leaving Australia forever or for more than one income year
  • wish to claim any tax deductions
  • are a liable or recipient parent under a child support assessment for the whole income year and your income was $27,063 or more.
  • are a foreign resident with a study or training support loan even if you have no Australian income.
  • are a foreign resident and you earned more than $1 in Australia during the income year unless
    • your only Australian-sourced income was interest, dividends or royalties and you paid the correct amount of non-resident withholding tax
    • you are a working holiday maker (417 or 462 visa holder) and your taxable income for the year is less than $45,001.

Taking action on the result

If you need to lodge, find out more about your lodgment options:

If you don’t need to lodge, you usually still need to let us know by: