If you were not an Australian resident for tax purposes for the whole 2017–18 year, we use the information you provide in your tax return to work out your tax-free threshold.
If you want to work it out, see:
- Tax-free threshold for newcomers to Australia
- Tax-free threshold if you are leaving Australia with the intention to reside overseas
Completing this section
If you were not an Australian resident for tax purposes for the whole year, you will need to enter the dates when you were a resident on the Personalise return screen.
- Answer the question Did you receive any taxable government benefits other than Australian Government special payments?.
If Yes, go to step 2. Otherwise go to step 3.
- Answer the question
Were all the benefits you received from the following?
- Youth allowance
- Newstart allowance
- sickness allowance
- special benefit, or
- payment under the Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP) Scheme
- Select Save and continue when you have completed the Adjustments section.
MyTax will work out how many months you will receive the tax-free threshold for.These myTax 2018 instructions will help you if you were not an Australian resident for the whole income year.