Show download pdf controls
  • Investment income

    Generally, you need to declare investment income. This is regardless of whether it's paid:

    • directly to you
    • through a distribution for a partnership (such as a share club) or trust.

    Investment income you must declare includes:

    Remember, you can also claim a deduction for expenses you incur in earning interest, dividend or other investment income.

    See also:


    If you're an Australian resident and you receive interest, you must declare it as income. Interest income includes:

    • interest earned from financial institution accounts and term deposits
    • interest earned from any other source including penalty interest received on an investment
    • interest earned from children's savings accounts, if you  
      • opened or operated an account for a child and the funds in the account belonged to you
      • spent or used the funds in the account
    • interest we paid or credited to you
    • life insurance bonuses (you may be entitled to a tax offset equal to 30% of any bonus amounts included in your income)
    • interest from foreign sources (you may be entitled to a tax offset for any tax paid on this income).

    See also:


    A dividend can be paid to you as money or other property, including shares. If you receive bonus shares instead of money, the company issuing the shares should give you a statement showing if the bonus shares are a dividend.

    Dividend income is usually paid from a:

    • listed investment company
    • public trading trust
    • corporate unit trust
    • corporate limited partnership (in the form of a distribution).

    Some dividends have imputation or franking credits attached that you must also declare on your tax return. If a company pays or credits you with dividends that have been franked, you'll generally be entitled to a franking tax offset.

    See also:


    You must declare the full amount of any rent and rent-related payments that you receive, or become entitled to, on your tax return.

    These payments include:

    • rental bond money if you become entitled to keep it – for example, because  
      • a tenant defaulted on the rent
      • of damage to your rental property requiring repairs
    • an insurance payout to compensate you for lost rent
    • a letting or booking fee
    • a reimbursement or recoupment for deductible expenditure, such as an amount from a tenant to cover the cost of repairing damage to your rental property. (This is where you would include the whole amount you receive from the tenant in your income and claim a deduction for the cost of the repairs)
    • rent you receive from renting out a room or a whole house or unit for a short time basis, through a website or app.

    If you receive goods and services instead of rent, you must work out and declare the monetary value.

    See also:


    Only include your share of rent and expenses on your tax return if you:

    • own a rental property jointly or in common with another person
    • have an interest in a partnership that carries on a rental property business.

    Managed investment trusts

    You must show any income or credits you receive from any trust investment product on your tax return. This includes income or credits from a:

    • cash management trust
    • money market trust
    • mortgage trust
    • unit trust
    • managed fund – such as a property trust, share trust, equity trust, growth trust, imputation trust or balanced trust.

    Capital gains

    Generally, your capital gain is the difference between:

    • your asset's cost base (what you paid for it), and
    • your capital proceeds (what you received for it).

    You can also make a capital gain if a managed fund or other unit trust distributes a capital gain to you.

    A capital gain is treated as part of your total income and not taxed separately.

    See also:

    Last modified: 30 Oct 2020QC 31937