Show download pdf controls
  • Claiming deductions for personal super contributions

    You can't claim a deduction for superannuation contributions paid by your employer directly to your super fund from your before-tax income such as:

    You may be able to claim a tax deduction for personal super contributions that you made to your super fund from your after-tax income, for example, from your bank account directly to your super fund. Before you can claim a deduction for your personal super contributions, you must give your super fund a Notice of intent to claim or vary a deduction for personal contributions form (NAT 71121) and receive an acknowledgement from your fund. There are other eligibility criteria that you must meet.

    People eligible to claim a deduction for personal contributions include people who get their income from:

    • salary and wages
    • a personal business (for example, people who are self-employed contractors, or freelancers)
    • investments (including interest, dividends, rent and capital gains)
    • government pensions or allowances
    • super
    • partnership or trust distributions
    • a foreign source.

    The personal super contributions that you claim as a deduction will count towards your concessional contributions cap. When deciding whether to claim a deduction for super contributions, you should consider the super impacts that may arise from this, including whether:

    • you will exceed your contribution caps
    • Division 293 tax applies to you
    • you wish to split your contributions with your spouse
    • it will affect your super co-contribution eligibility.

    If you exceed your cap, you will have to pay extra tax and any excess concessional contributions will count towards your non-concessional contributions cap.

    See also:

    Find out about:

      Last modified: 01 Jul 2021QC 20139