Show download pdf controls
  • How to vary your notice of intent

    You can vary your notice of intent to claim a deduction, but only to reduce the amount stated in the notice. You can vary the amount by reducing it, including to nil, but you can't revoke or withdraw the notice.

    If you want to increase the amount you intend to claim as a deduction, you do not give your fund a variation notice. Instead, you give a second notice specifying the additional amount you wish to claim. This second notice is subject to the due date for lodging.

    To vary your notice of intent to claim a deduction, you may complete a Notice of intent to claim or vary a deduction for personal super contributions (NAT 71121) and give it to your fund.

    Alternatively, you can use your fund's own form, or write to your fund. If you're writing a letter to your fund, you must include:

    • the information that was in your original notice of intent
    • a statement that you wish to vary your previous notice of intent to reduce the amount of personal contributions for which a tax deduction will be claimed
    • the amount you now intend to claim (which may be nil).

    Required date for varying your notice of intent

    You can vary a notice of intent up until the due date for lodging a claim (see When to give your notice of intent).

    However, if the deduction you claimed is not allowable, in whole or in part, you can vary your notice after the required date to reduce the amount stated in the notice by the amount not allowable.

    You can't vary your notice of intent if:

    • you are no longer a member of the fund or the holder of a retirement savings account
    • the trustee  
      • no longer holds the contribution
      • has begun to pay a super income stream based wholly or in part on the contribution.

    Your fund will send you written acknowledgment after receiving your valid notice of intent to vary your deduction for personal super contributions.

      Last modified: 25 Mar 2022QC 20139