Show download pdf controls
  • How to lodge your BAS

    You have several options for lodging your business activity statements (BAS) and reporting your GST to the ATO:

    Most businesses that lodge their own BAS choose an online option.

    You must lodge on time to avoid penalties. If you have difficulty paying, contact us to make a payment plan.

    See also:

    Lodge online

    Lodging your quarterly BAS online means you may be eligible for a concession giving you an extra two weeks to lodge and pay.

    Each of the following online options will step you through the process as you go:

    • Online services using myGov for individuals and sole traders – accessed via myGov (suitable if you’re a sole trader and don’t need any other software)
    • Business Portal – a secure ATO website, used to manage your business tax affairs (separate from other business software)
    • SBR-enabled softwareExternal Link – allows secure online lodgment directly from financial, accounting or payroll software, which is often integrated with business software that's tailored to specific industries. See the different forms availableExternal Link.

    The method you use to lodge your BAS will determine how you receive statements in future. For example, if you lodge through the Business Portal, your next statement will be available in the Business Portal.

    We will notify you by email when your activity statements are available, so make sure your contact details are up to date.


    Media: Lodge your BAS online (Duration: 0:30)

    See also:

    Lodge through your tax or BAS agent

    If you have a registered tax or BAS agent they can lodge, vary, and pay on your behalf through their preferred electronic channel.

    When you use an agent:

    • they can view activity statements sent to your myGov Inbox
    • you can still access your activity statement through the Business Portal or myGov even if your agent is managing them on your behalf.

    See also:

    Lodge by mail

    Mail your original, completed BAS, using the pre-addressed envelope provided in your BAS package.

    If you make a mistake on your paper BAS, you can use whiteout to make changes.

    If you misplace the pre-addressed envelope, send your BAS to:

    Australian Taxation Office
    Locked Bag 1936
    ALBURY  NSW  2640

    If you've lost or haven't received your paper BAS, you can get a copy by phoning us on 13 28 66.

    Note: Mail isn't an option if you are lodging your BAS using an online channel.

    Nothing to report ('nil' BAS)

    This service can only be used if you have nothing to report for the period and need to lodge your BAS as 'nil'.

    You can lodge your 'nil' BAS:

    • online
    • by phone on 13 72 26. This is an automated service and you can call anytime (24 hours a day, seven days a week). You will need to have your activity statement document identification number (DIN) handy
    • by mail.

    Authorised by the Australian Government, Canberra.

    Last modified: 30 May 2019QC 33692