Small business benchmarks
Small business benchmarks are a guide to help you compare your business's performance against similar businesses in the same industry.
- are calculated from income tax returns and activity statements from over 1.3 million small businesses and are verified as being statistically valid by an independent organisation
- account for businesses with different turnover ranges (up to $15 million) across more than 100 industries
- are published as a range to recognise the variations that occur between businesses due to factors such as location and the businesses circumstances.
We update the benchmarks each year using the latest available data. The current data is from the 2013–14 financial year.
You can find your business’s benchmark by:
Use the Business performance check
The business performance check tool uses the benchmarks and compares the data entered. It quickly calculates how your business compares to your competitors.
You can find the business performance check tool by:
- downloading the ATO app from Google Play, the Windows Phone Store or the Apple App Store
- go to Business
- select Business performance check
- enter the information requested
- check your business performance.
Information about small business benchmarks: what they are, how they can help your business, and how we use them to identify businesses that may be avoiding their tax obligations.