• Applying for a Departing Australia superannuation payment from a super fund or retirement savings account

    Temporary residents who accumulated superannuation (super) while in Australia can claim their super from their super fund when all of the following criteria are met:

    • they entered Australia on a temporary visa listed under the Migration Act 1958 (excluding subclasses 405 and 410)
    • their visa has ceased to be in effect
    • they have departed Australia
    • they are not an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident of Australia.

    The payment is called a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP).

    How to obtain this form

    You can download this form in Portable Document Format (PDF) – download Application for a departing Australia superannuation payment (NAT 7204, PDF, 230KB).

    See also:

    Who should complete this form?

    If you satisfy the criteria above, you or your authorised representative can use this form to claim your super from a super fund or retirement savings account provider.

    If you wish to claim your super from more than one super fund, you must complete a separate application for each super fund. If your super fund has an application form similar to this, you can complete their application form instead of this form if you prefer.

    Generally, if you do not claim your super from your fund within six months of leaving Australia and your visa ceasing to be in effect, your fund will be required to transfer the money to the ATO. We will hold your super for you until you claim it from us.

    Note: This form cannot be used to claim super held by the ATO. To claim ATO-held super:

    Before you complete this form

    Before you complete and send this form to your fund, check:

    • if they are still holding your super or have transferred it elsewhere – and if so, where they have transferred it
    • if your fund has rules that may restrict access to your super as a DASP
    • whether they require any other additional supporting documentation in support of your claim, other than what is specified in Section D of the form.
    • if they have any specific requirements regarding the certification of documents.

    Note: If you are not sure where your super is, or you want to find out how to claim electronically, you can:

    How to request cancellation of your temporary visa

    If you have departed Australia but your temporary resident visa is still current, you can request the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) cancel your visa so that you can claim a DASP.

    DIBP does not charge a fee for cancelling a temporary resident visa, however there can be legal consequences associated with cancelling it.

    • For more information, or to request cancellation of your visa complete the relevant section of the Certification of Immigration Status and/or request to cancel a Temporary Resident visa (Form 1194) available from DIBP at SuperannuationExternal Link
    • The completed Form 1194 must be lodged directly with DIBP, either by mail to the address provided on the form, or sent by email to super.hobart@border.gov.au
    • Before you submit the Form 1194 to request cancellation of your visa you should also consider whether you need to apply to DIBP to issue Certification of Immigration Status to your fund in support of your DASP claim.
    • If Certification of Immigration Status is also required, you can apply for this on the same form. Please read Section D of the DASP claim form instructions ‘Supporting documentation for temporary resident’ to find out if you need to request this. As explained in Section D, DIBP does charge a fee for issuing Certification of Immigration Status on your behalf.

    Claiming DASP from a fund on behalf of a temporary resident

    If you have been authorised to claim DASP on behalf of a temporary resident you must also complete Sections G and H of this form.

    The super fund will require proof of your identity and proof of your authority to make the DASP claim on behalf of the temporary resident member, in addition to supporting documentation for the member (as specified in Section D of the form). You should contact the fund to confirm what they require.

    Where do I send the completed form?

    Send the completed DASP application form and certified copies of your supporting documentation (as listed in Section D of the form) to your super fund. Keep a copy of your form and certified documents for your own records.

    Note: Do NOT send this form to the ATO, or to DIBP – it must be lodged with your fund.

    Processing your form

    Your super fund should process your DASP claim within 28 days of receiving the completed application and all the documentary evidence they require in support of the claim. It may take longer than 28 days, or they may not be able to process the claim, if you do not provide all the necessary information.

    If you have not had a response from your fund after 28 days of submitting your claim, you should contact the fund.

    Within 14 days of issuing a DASP your fund must forward you a DASP Payment Summary. A final DASP withholding tax will be applied to your super balance by the fund before the payment is issued to you. Because of this you MUST NOT include details of the payment or the tax withheld from the payment in your income tax return.

    See also:

    Last modified: 27 Oct 2015QC 16612