PAYG withholding variation short application 2017
You should use this application when you want to vary the rate or amount of pay as you go (PAYG) tax withheld for the year ending 30 June 2017 from:
- an overpayment relating to
- Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- Trade Support Loan (TSL)
- Student Start-up Loan (SSL)
- Financial Supplement repayments.
You can also use the application to seek approval to defer your repayments of HELP, TSL, SSL or Financial supplements.
The main purpose of varying the rate or amount of withholding is to make sure that the amount withheld during the income year best meets your end-of-year tax liability. For example, if the normal rate withholding leads to a large credit at the end of the income year because your tax-deductible expenses are higher than normal, you may want to vary your withholding.
You need to send your completed applications to us by 30 April 2017.
Variations are issued at the Commissioner's discretion.
The processing time for an application depends on the method you use to lodge your application. If you lodge:
- online using an e-variation - within 28 days
- by paper - within 56 days.
If you cannot lodge online, you will need to order a paper application by:
- visiting Online ordering and searching for 'NAT 5425'
- phoning our automated self-help ordering service on 13 28 65.
We will process your application only if you:
- have lodged all required tax returns and activity statements, or notified us in writing if you were not required to lodge tax returns in prior years
- did not receive a debit assessment on your last tax assessment if you also had an approved withholding variation for that year
- do not have any outstanding tax debt owing to the Australian Government
- do not have any outstanding debts under any other Acts administered by us.
We may seek more information from you before or after your application is processed. If you fail to provide this, your application may not be approved.
If you are granted a variation, this does not mean we have accepted the tax treatment of the income and deductions on your application. Your actual tax liability will be determined after you lodge your tax return.
We process your application based on the information you provide. It is your responsibility to make sure this information is adequate to allow us to calculate a withholding rate to meet your end-of-year tax liability.
If your application is not approved, you can apply for a review of the decision. You must apply in writing, explain why the decision should be overturned and include information to support your claims.
If your application is approved, the varied rate or amount of withholding will start from the next available payday after your pay office receives the notice of withholding variation from us.
Your variation finishes on the expiry date shown on the notice of withholding variation from us. To continue to have reduced tax withheld from payments after this date, you must lodge another PAYG withholding variation application – at least six weeks before the expiry date.
Variations for allowances may be issued for more than one year. The expiry date on the letter we send after we process your application will show whether the variation has been issued for more than one year.
Last modified: 10 May 2016QC 34406