Searching for lost super

About this form

Form and instructions for super account holders to request a search for lost super using the lost members register and unclaimed super money register. (NAT 2476)

How to obtain this form

You can download this form in Portable Document Format (PDF) – download Searching for lost super (NAT 2476, PDF 229KB)This link will download a file


Who should complete this form?

You should complete this form if you want us to search our lost members register and unclaimed super money register for any super you may have lost.

Who can have lost super?

Your super fund will report you as a lost member if either:

  • they have not been able to contact you
  • they have not received any contributions or rollover amounts for you in the last five years
  • your account was transferred from another fund as a lost member account and no new address has been found.

The ATO maintains a register of reported lost members but the super fund still holds your monies.

Who can have unclaimed super?

Super funds are required to report and pay unclaimed super money to us twice a year. The following are the unclaimed monies that we may hold on your behalf:

  • unclaimed super money for 
    • a member 65 years old or older
    • a non-member spouse
    • a deceased member.
  • unclaimed super money of former temporary residents
  • certain accounts belonging to lost members  
    • lost accounts with balances of less than $200 (small lost member accounts)
    • lost accounts which have been inactive for a period of five years and have insufficient records to ever identify the owner of the account (insoluble lost member accounts).

After completing this form

After you complete this form, send it to us at:

Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3578

We will use the information you provide to check for any possible matches on the lost members and unclaimed super money registers. We will write to you to let you know whether or not we have found a possible match or if we need more information.

How else can I search for lost and unclaimed super

You can also search for your lost and unclaimed super by logging on or creating a myGovExternal Link account.

Next steps:

See also:

Last modified: 14 Oct 2016QC 19313