How to complete your application form
Section A: Applicant information
The answers to the questions in this section will help us establish whether you are already on our records or not.
The gender on your supporting documents must match your selection at question 6. If not, you need to provide a certified copy of one of the following as an additional supporting document:
- a statement from a Registered Medical Practitioner or a Registered Psychologist which specifies your gender
- a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a valid passport, which specifies your gender, or
- a state or territory birth certificate, which specifies your gender. A document from a state or territory Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages recognising your change in gender will also be sufficient evidence.
For more information on the recognition of sex and gender, go to ato.gov.au/gender.
Definition of spouse
A spouse includes another person (of any sex) who:
- you are legally married to
- you are in a relationship with that is registered under a prescribed state or territory law
- although not legally married to you, lives with you on a genuine domestic basis in a relationship as a couple.
Section B: Address details
Your TFN will be sent to the postal address you provide – this could be your home address, your post office box, or your registered tax agent’s postal address.
We may use these details to send notices and correspondence about your taxation affairs.
Section C: Reason for application
Provide all details where you can at question 11.
Section D: Contact details
Provide all details where you can at question 12.
You can also provide details of a registered tax agent or legal representative in Australia at question 14.
Section E: Supporting documents
When you lodge your application, you must provide documents that prove your identity for registration purposes (proof of identity).
What are the proof of identity requirements?
Note: If you do not provide all the proof of identity documents we ask for, your application will be returned to you and we cannot issue you with a TFN.
When you lodge your application, you must provide two current documents that prove your identity for registration purposes – refer to Acceptable proof of identity documents.
You must provide certified copies of your proof of identity documents.
For information regarding certified copies and a list of certifiers refer to:
Certified copies of documents that you mail to us may not be returned to you.
Documents that have been corrected or changed and initialled are not acceptable.
We may check the supporting documents you supply with the agencies that issued them.
Last modified: 07 Sep 2021QC 27136