ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Permanent migrants and temporary visitors – TFN application

How individuals living in Australia with a valid foreign passport or travel document (visa) apply for a TFN.

Last updated 18 June 2024

Who can apply

Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors can apply for a TFN online using Individual Auto Registration (IAR).

It is free to apply for a TFN.

To work in Australia, you will need authorisation (a valid visa) from the Department of Home Affairs. New Zealanders are automatically granted a visa on arrival into Australia.

You can apply for a TFN if you meet all the following 3 conditions:

  1. You are a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor.
  2. You are already in Australia.
  3. Your visa is one of the following
    • a permanent resident visa
    • a visa with work rights
    • an overseas student visa
    • a visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely.

To apply online using IAR, you must have a valid passport or relevant travel documents. If you don't have a valid visa, you can't apply for a TFN.

You don't need to send documents to us.

Apply online for a TFN using the IAR

For instructions, see Online TFN registration – permanent migrants and temporary visitors.

For specific help and instructions on the application fields, see Individual Auto-Registration help.

For known issues or errors and troubleshooting, see Help and support for online services – individuals.

Processing your TFN application

Once you have completed your application online, we will post your TFN to the Australian postal address on your application. This can take up to 28 days. We appreciate your patience during the processing period.

To prevent delays in processing your application, don't lodge another application.

If you haven't received your TFN notice after 28 days, contact us and give your ATO receipt ID.

When you receive your TFN it's important that you keep your TFN and all your personal information secure to prevent identity theft and fraud.

If you already have a TFN

If you already have a TFN, you can also complete the online application if you:

  • want to know your TFN
  • want a copy of your TFN notice
  • need to confirm your identity details with us.

Valid visas

Valid working visas include:

Asylum seekers may use a bridging visa, and their passport or travel document number will be their ImmiCard number. For previous identification cards the passport or travel document number will be PLO56 or PL56.

If you don’t have a valid visa, you may need to use the TFN application form for people living outside Australia.