Use the online Individual Auto-registration (IAR) system to apply for a TFN if you are a:
- foreign passport holder
- permanent migrant
- temporary visitor.
There is no cost to apply, and it should take about 20 minutes.
You must already be in Australia to apply.
For information on who can apply using this form, see Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors – TFN application.
Before you start the application, you must ensure that your device is set to an Australian time zone as this may cause errors when submitting your TFN application.
Steps to complete your online application
Follow the steps below to complete your online application:
- Step 1: Prepare your information
- Step 2: Complete the application
- Step 3: Keep a record of your ATO receipt ID
You will need the following information when you apply:
- passport or travel document number
- country of origin of your passport or travel document (the nationality country on your visa)
- names (exactly as they are printed on your passport or travel document)
- any other names you use or are known by
- date of birth (exactly as printed on your passport or travel document)
- spouse details
- existing TFN, Australian business number (ABN) or Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN)
- residential and postal addresses (your postal address must be in Australia)
- contact details (phone number and email address).
Each screen contains information and questions you need to complete. To move between each screen, complete the questions then use the Next or Back navigation button at the bottom of each screen.
Please refer to our Help document for further instructions on how to complete the application fields.
To start the online application:
- read the first page
- select Start to be taken to the Identification screen to enter your Travel documentation.
- passport or travel document number
- passport or travel document country of origin (this must match the nationality country on your visa)
- personal details
- name (this must match your passport or travel document)
- date of birth (this must match your passport or travel document)
- spouse details.
Tax file number screen
Tell us if you:
- have previously applied for a TFN or ABN in your name
- have previously had a TFN or ABN in your name
- have previously lodged a tax return in Australia
- own property or have business interests in Australia
- are a Centrelink customer and have authorised them to receive your TFN from the ATO.
- Australian postal address (this is where your TFN notification letter will be sent)
- current home address (this can't be a post office box number).
Note: Make sure you use the correct format for the address you are entering. If you are entering the address of a unit, place the:
- unit number before the slash (/)
- building number after the slash (/).
We may use these address details to contact you as well as send notices and correspondence about your taxation affairs.
- phone number (this can be a mobile number)
- email address.
We may use these contact details to contact you as well as send notices and correspondence about your taxation affairs.
Note: You can provide details of another person we can contact for further information about your application.
Before submitting your application:
- confirm the information in your application is true and correct
- tick the box to complete your declaration
- select the Submit button to finish your application.
This will take you to the application results screen. Please read the 'What's next?' section.
When your application is submitted, you will be presented with an ATO receipt ID. Write down this number as it is important for keeping track of your application.
How you will be notified of your TFN
Once we have processed your application, we will send a TFN notification letter to the Australian postal address you have provided on the form. This can take up to 28 days. We appreciate your patience during the processing period. To prevent delays in processing your application, don't lodge another application. If you haven't received your TFN notice after 28 days, contact us and provide your ATO receipt ID.
See alsoHow to apply for a tax file number (TFN) online for foreign passport holders, permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia.