• How much you owe

    Need help finding out how much you owe?

    Follow the links for:

    Individuals and sole traders

    Online using myGov

    You can go online to check your outstanding balance and due date for payment. You'll need a myGov account linked to the ATOExternal Link.

    Log in or create a myGov account

    Income tax

    After lodging your tax return you'll receive a notice of assessment confirming:

    • how much you owe
    • the due date for payment
    • your payment reference number.
    Check your income tax account

    PAYG instalments

    Pay as you go (PAYG) instalments only apply to you if you earn business or investment income over a certain amount. We'll notify you if you need to start paying PAYG instalments, how often to pay and the options available to you.

    You can use our online services to view, lodge, pay, vary and manage all your PAYG instalment obligations. You'll need a myGov account linked to the ATOExternal Link.

    Check your PAYG instalments

    See also:


    Log in to the Business Portal to find out what you owe for income tax and business activity statements.

    Business Portal

    Find out when you need to lodge and pay:

    If you can't use the Business Portal, you can:

    Check your income tax assessment

    Businesses other than companies receive a notice of assessment from us after they lodge their tax return. The notice of assessment states:

    • how much you owe
    • the due date for payment
    • your payment reference number (PRN).

    Fully self-assessed companies and super funds usually don’t receive a notice of assessment.

    Sole traders and partners in partnerships can check what they owe for income tax through our online services for individuals. You'll need a myGov accountExternal Link linked to the ATO.

    PAYG instalments

    If you’re earning business income, you may be required to pay PAYG instalments. When we write to tell you that you have to pay instalments, we'll let you know how often to pay and the options available to you.

    Phone us

    Businesses can find out what tax they owe, and when it's due, by phoning us on 13 28 66 during operating hours.

    Contact us immediately if you believe your account balance is incorrect.

    Next step:

    If you disagree with your tax assessment

    If you think your tax assessment is incorrect, you can dispute or object to an ATO decision.

    Your payment is still due

    Even if you're disputing an assessment, you must still pay the outstanding amount by the due date – unless you have a deferral or 50:50 arrangement.

    Overdue amounts, disputed or otherwise, incur interest. If the dispute is resolved in your favour we will generally pay you interest on your overpayments.

    We may take recovery action for outstanding taxes even if you've requested a review or lodged an objection or appeal.

    Seeking a deferral or 50:50 arrangement

    You can write to us (setting out your reasons) if you want to defer your tax payment until your dispute has been resolved. If you have a good payment history, we may agree to defer recovery action until the dispute is resolved. However, interest will still apply from the due date on any amount that is still payable when the dispute is resolved.

    We may be able to offer you a 50:50 arrangement. In this case, you pay at least 50% of the disputed amount plus any other outstanding tax debts. You also agree to provide any information that is needed to resolve the dispute. In return, you can defer paying the rest of the amount until the dispute is resolved.

    If your objection is unsuccessful you will only be charged 50% of the interest that accrues on the outstanding amount from the date you made the 50% payment. This concession is increased to 75% if your case is funded as part of the test case litigation program.

    See also:

    Registered agents

    To find out how much a client owes, registered agents can:

    Last modified: 13 Oct 2016QC 50298