• Locating your super

    If you have had more than one job, you may have multiple super fund accounts.

    We could also be holding super for you as unclaimed super money, super guarantee or in the superannuation holding account (SHA). This is collectively known as ATO-held super.

    If you're a temporary resident and you haven't claimed your super after leaving Australia, generally your super fund will transfer it to us as unclaimed super after at least six months has passed since:

    • you left Australia or your visa has expired or been cancelled
    • you have not claimed your superannuation money from the super fund.

    If you're not sure where your super is, you can search for it using our DASP online application systemExternal Link.

    Claiming ATO-held super as a DASP

    If your fund has transferred your super to us as 'former temporary resident – unclaimed super' you can claim this from us at any time, even when you're back in Australia on another visa (including if you return on a permanent visa).

    If you have returned to Australia as a permanent resident, you can either transfer this money to an Australian super fund, or apply for it to be paid to you directly. Either way, the payment is still considered a DASP.

    Check for outstanding employer contributions

    Employers are required to make super contributions on a quarterly basis, so you should check with your employer that all contributions have been paid into your fund before submitting your claim.

      Last modified: 01 Sep 2017QC 24169