Show download pdf controls
  • Departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP)

    If you have worked and earned super while visiting Australia on a temporary visa, you can apply to have this super paid to you as a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) after you leave.

    There are eligibility requirements you will need to meet to claim your DASP.

    Before submitting your DASP application, check with your employer to confirm that they have paid all the super they are required to.

    If it has been six months or more since you left Australia, your visa has ceased to be in effect. If you have not claimed DASP, your super fund will transfer your super money to the ATO as unclaimed super money.

    You may be required to provide certified documents for your DASP application. It's much easier to have documents certified in Australia, so we recommend you do this before you leave. Check with your super fund to confirm what documentation is required.

    In this section

    Authorising someone to claim on your behalf

    You can authorise someone else to apply for your DASP. The person you authorise will be able to act on your behalf and update your information, so consider carefully who you allow to represent you.

    Your representative will need a written authority from you before they can submit your DASP application.

    You can nominate either:

    • a tax agent with full registration or conditional tax agent registration with the Tax Practitioner Board for the purpose of claiming DASP
    • a representative if you use a DASP paper form.

    Registered tax agents can claim a DASP on your behalf through the DASP online intermediary application system.

    Note: Anyone applying on your behalf using a paper form will have to satisfy your super fund that they have the authority to make the claim for you. You should check with your super fund to find out what documentation they require.

      Last modified: 31 May 2023QC 24169