myTax 2021 How to personalise your tax return
Complete the Personalise return screen by selecting items that apply to you.
On this page:
Completing this section
This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.
End of attention
We make some selections for you, based on:
- pre-fill information
- data we have on our records, such as
- information from your last year's tax return
- your uploaded data from the ATO app's myDeductions tool.
You can't remove any selections we make for you, even if you think the circumstances do not apply to you. For more information, read Can't remove a selection? below.
If you've used our ATO app's myDeductions tool during the year but not yet uploaded your data to the ATO, read myDeductions tool below.
Make other selections that may apply to include them in your tax return. This will tailor your tax return to your situation on the Prepare return screen.
- When you progress to the Prepare return screen, you may find that you have missed a selection.
- Even if you are part way through your return, you can simply return to the Personalise screen and make further selections.
Watch our tutorial for a demonstration on how to personalise your tax return.
- Check the answer to the question Were you an Australian resident for tax purposes from 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021?
For more information, see Were you an Australian resident for tax purposes.
If Yes, go to step 3.
If No, go to step 2.
- If you were a resident for part of the year, enter the dates you were a resident.
If you were not a resident at any time during the year, leave both date fields blank.
- Answer the question Did you have a spouse at any time between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021?
For more information, see Did you have a spouse?
Note: We may have populated this for you based on information from your 2019–20 tax return.
- Make selections that may apply to include them in your tax return.
If you are unsure which items apply to you, or to read more about those items, select from the links below:
If you can't see an item to select, it's because it will already be shown on the Prepare return screen or is not required to be included in your tax return.
- Select Next to go to the Prepare return screen.
Want to lodge a nil return?
If you don’t need to select any items because you wish to lodge a nil return, then select Next at the bottom of the Personalise return screen, and follow the instructions.
Watch our tutorial
This video shows you how to personalise your tax return.
We also have a range of video tutorialsExternal Link that may assist you using myTax.
Can't see an item to select?
Certain items apply to everyone and they are always displayed on the Prepare return screen.
These items are:
Also, you are not required to make a selection on the Personalise return screen for any of the following:
- low income tax offset
- low and middle income tax offset
- PAYG instalments
- Study and training support loans including
- Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- Vocational and Educational Training Student Loan (VSL)
- Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS)
- Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt
- Student Start-up Loan (SSL)
- ABSTUDY Student Start-up Loan (ABSTUDY SSL).
We use the information in your tax return and our records to include these in your notice of assessment.