Show download pdf controls
  • Cash income

    If you are being paid cash, you must declare the cash as income when you lodge your tax return.

    We use a range of tools to identify and take action against people and businesses that may not be correctly meeting their obligations.

    See also:

    Use the Personalise return screen to select items that are relevant to you.

    If you receive cash for work you do as an employee, select:

    • You received salary, wages or other income on an income statement/payment summary, Australian Government payments, or First home super saver (FHSS) scheme payment  
      • Salary, wages, allowances, tips, bonuses etc. (including lump sum A, B, D or E payments).

    If you want to claim deductions for expenses incurred related to your cash income as an employee, select:

    • You had deductions you want to claim  
      • Work-related expenses (including working from home claims) – You must have salary or wages income.

    If you receive cash payments carrying on a business for goods or services, select:

    • You were a sole trader or had business income or losses, partnership or trust distribution (not from a managed fund)  
      • Business/Sole trader income or loss  
        • Business income or loss.
      Last modified: 11 Aug 2021QC 65718