To administer the tax laws, we collect information about you. We may get this information from you, or from other parties such as your authorised representative, another government agency, or your bank who might provide information to help pre-fill your tax return. We also record when you visit our website, but only use the information for statistical purposes to help us improve the website.
We respect your privacy and keep your information confidential by complying with the following:
- the Privacy Act 1988External Link, which contains provisions designed to safeguard personal information about living individuals. The Privacy Act requires us to comply with the Australian Privacy PrinciplesExternal Link (APP) set out in that Act
- the Australian Government Agencies Privacy CodeExternal Link, which requires us to put in place practices, procedures and systems to ensure agencies comply with the APPs and the Privacy Act 1988
- taxpayer confidentiality provisions in tax law, which protect information about all taxpayers, whether they are individuals or other kinds of taxpayers such as companies.
- Australian Privacy PrinciplesExternal Link
- Privacy Act 1988External Link
- Australian Government Agencies Privacy Code (the Privacy Code)External Link
- Office of the Australian Information Commissioner – Privacy CommissionerExternal Link