Goods and services tax (GST) is a broad-based tax of 10% on most goods, services and other items sold or consumed in Australia (the indirect tax zone).
You must register for GST in Australia if:
- you are carrying on a business or enterprise
- your GST turnover from business sales connected with Australia is either
- A$75,000 or more
- A$150,000 or more if you are a non-profit body.
If you aren't required to register for GST, you may choose to register if you're carrying on a business or enterprise.
Once registered for GST, you:
- need to include GST in the price of most goods and services you sell
- need to complete a business activity statement (BAS) every month, quarter or annually to report your GST transactions
- can claim credits for the GST included in the price of most purchases for your business.
- International tax for business – doing business in Australia
- Tax on retail sales of goods and services into Australia
- Business activity statements (BAS)