ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Lodgment and payment requirements

Last updated 25 May 2022

How to lodge the Franking account tax return and the payment options available.

When to lodge

Generally, the Franking account tax return must be lodged, and the FDT liability and OFT liability must be paid, on the last day of the month following the end of the income year.

Late balancing corporate tax entities that elect to have their FDT liability determined on a 30 June basis must lodge a Franking account tax return by 31 July each year. This date is also the date by which the FDT is payable. Note that there are different lodgment obligations in relation to OFT liabilities and disclosure obligations for these entities. For more information, see Late balancing corporate tax entities that elect to have their FDT liability determined on 30 June.

There are some different lodgment and payment rules that arise for certain refunds received within three months after:

  • the end of the income year (or the period ending 30 June for certain late balancing corporate tax entities)
  • a corporate tax entity ceases to be a franking entity.

For more information on these different lodgment and payment rules, see A refund of income tax affecting a FDT liability.

For subsidiary members of a consolidated group, where the head company has not notified us of the group’s formation, each group member may still be obliged to lodge a Franking account tax return and pay any franking tax liability. This obligation exists until we receive notification of the group’s formation. If the subsidiary member believes it will not have an obligation to lodge a Franking account tax return because it will be a member of a consolidated group for the full income year, it may request a deferral of time to lodge.

If the company does not subsequently form part of a consolidated group, the company will have to lodge a return and pay any franking tax amount owing. General interest charges may be applied back to the original due date.

If the company lodges a return and pays its franking tax liability on the due date, and, subsequently, the head company notifies us that the company was a subsidiary member for the full year, the subsidiary member will need to contact us to amend the return to zero and request a refund of any franking tax amount paid for this tax return.

Where to lodge

Post your Franking account tax return with your payment to:

Australian Taxation Office
Locked Bag 1793

How to pay

We offer you a range of convenient payment options, both in Australia and overseas.

Your payment needs to reach us on or before its due date. Check your financial institution’s processing deadlines to avoid making a late payment.


Make a payment directly from your Australian cheque or savings account to us using your financial institution’s phone or internet banking service.

Details you need:

  • Biller code: 75556
  • Reference: Your payment reference number (PRN).

BPAY payments made out of hours, on a weekend or on a public holiday will not reach us until the next working day.

® Registered to BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518.

Credit card

To pay online:

To pay by phone, call the Government EasyPay service on 1300 898 089.

You will need:

  • your payment reference number
  • a Visa, MasterCard or American Express card.

A card payment fee may apply to card transactions.

To get your payment reference number, you can go online:

Alternatively, individuals and businesses can:

  • ask your tax agent
  • phone 1800 815 886 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

If you can't make a payment using BPAY® or credit card there is information on other payment options at How to pay.

Continue to: More information