ato logo

After you have completed the form

Last updated 19 September 2021

When to lodge and pay

The due date for lodging the PRRT return and paying the entity's PRRT is 29 August following the end of the year of tax for which you are lodging. You can lodge and pay on or before this date.

It is important that we receive the return by the due date, whether the entity has a refund or payment amount to report, or the entity is having difficulty paying.

A penalty may be applied if you fail to lodge on time and a general interest charge will apply to any amount not paid by the due date.

If you can't lodge and pay on time

If you need extra time to lodge or pay, phone us on 13 28 66 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday, to check whether alternative arrangements can be made. In some circumstances, the Commissioner may give you further time to lodge and/or pay.

How to lodge and pay

You can print the PRRT return form and fill it in by hand then scan it as a PDF or download the form, save it to your computer and fill it in on-screen.

Whichever method you choose, make sure you keep a copy of the form and any attachments for your own records.

The PRRT return form can be lodged in the following ways by:

  1. Online services for business following these steps  
    1. Save the completed form as a PDF to your system.
    2. Log into Online services for businessExternal Link.
    3. Select Communication and Secure mail.
    4. Select 'New' to create a New message.
    5. Select from the 'Topic' list, View more topics, then from 'Other topics', select Petroleum Resource Rent Tax, and then from 'Subject', select PRRT return / instalment lodgment.
    6. Complete all fields and attach PRRT return/instalment form.
    7. Complete the declaration then select send.

You will receive a receipt number once you've lodged your application.

  1. Email the PRRT return/instalment form to; or
  2. Mail the PRRT return/instalment form to

Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3130

If the entity is lodging its first PRRT return for the project, attach the Petroleum resource rent tax (PRRT) deductible expenditure schedule (NAT 74264). Without the PRRT deductible expenditure schedule, the PRRT return may be taken to have been not lodged. (See also Instructions for PRRT deductible expenditure schedule).

For payment options, see How to pay.

Note: There may be delays in processing forms and payments (including refunds) if the project is not registered for PRRT. To register, complete an Application to register for petroleum resource rent tax (PRRT) (NAT 9847).

Expecting a refund

Generally, refunds are only paid directly into the entity’s nominated financial institution account, so it's essential we have the correct account and BSB numbers. The entity’s nominated account needs to be at a branch of the institution in Australia.

If the entity does not receive a refund, or the refund received is less than expected, this may be because we have:

  • kept all or part of the entity's refund to apply it against a tax debt that the entity owes the ATO – this process is called offsetting
  • used a credit balance from one of the entity’s other tax accounts to pay a tax debt the entity owes and subsequently received a payment from the entity in relation to that tax debt. As a result, the account may be placed in credit and the payment becomes what is called a voluntary payment, and is not automatically refunded
  • held the entity's refund because you have not nominated a bank account for us to pay the refund into, or the bank account details you provided are incorrect or incomplete
  • held the refund because you have not lodged one or more of the entity's instalment statements
  • held the refund because we need to check or verify with you some details shown on the entity's PRRT instalment statement.

If you need to change the entity's financial institution account details, complete a Change of registration details (NAT 2943).

See also

  • Where is my refund?
  • Phone us on 13 28 66 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday, if you need to enquire about a refund. You will need to provide proof of identity.

Correcting mistakes in a PRRT return

After lodging the entity's PRRT return for a project, you may discover you have made a mistake or left something out.

To correct a mistake or omission, you can lodge a new PRRT return for the project to correct the previous return. If you're lodging a new PRRT return to correct a mistake or omission, make sure you indicate the amendment number by providing it in the box on the top right-hand corner of the first page of the return.

If you're correcting a mistake or omission, complete the form in full, answering all questions (not just those relating to the changes).

For further assistance in amending a PRRT return, phone us on 13 28 66 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Record keeping

You need to keep a copy of the PRRT return (and the records used to prepare it) for at least seven years from the date of lodgment. The records should be in writing and in English, or readily accessible and easily convertible into English.

These record-keeping requirements also apply to the entity's Petroleum resource rent tax (PRRT) deductible expenditure schedule.

See also