ato logo

Searching for lost super

Search for lost super online using myGov, phoning our lost super search line or by completing a paper form (NAT 2476).

Last updated 28 November 2019

Reuniting Australians with their super – a new law to protect your superannuation savings started from 1 July 2019. Super providers are required to pay inactive low-balance accounts to the ATO. We will also be able to proactively reunite unclaimed super money we hold for you into one of your active super accounts. You can check or subscribe to email updates for the latest super updates.

Find out about

How to search for your lost super

You can search for your lost super:

You can also ask your preferred super fund to conduct a search on your behalf.

Search online via MyGov

Log in to your myGov account linked to the ATO and click on Manage my super.

If you are not already registered for myGov, go to online services to register.

Lost super search line

Individuals and agents can complete a super search by phoning our automated super search line on 13 28 65.

Be prepared to provide the following information upon request:

  • your personal details
    • tax file number (TFN)
    • name
    • date of birth
    • visa holder status (if applicable)
  • your contact details
    • current postal address,
    • daytime phone number
    • email address (if applicable)
  • your super fund details – any super fund where contributions may have been made on your behalf
    • super fund name
    • account number
    • beneficiaries
    • period of contributions
  • your previous details
    • name
    • address
    • employment (if applicable).

Complete a paper form

You can download and complete the following form and send it to us:

After you complete your form, send it to us at:

Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3578

Who can have lost super?

Your super fund will report you as a lost member if either:

  • they have not been able to contact you
  • they have not received any contributions or rollover amounts for you in the last five years
  • your account was transferred from another fund as a lost member account and no new address has been found.

The ATO maintains a register of reported lost members but the super fund still holds your money.

Who can have unclaimed super?

Super funds are required to report and pay unclaimed super money to us twice a year. The following are the unclaimed monies that we may hold on your behalf:

  • unclaimed super money for 
    • a member 65 years old or older
    • a non-member spouse
    • a deceased member
  • unclaimed super money of former temporary residents
  • certain accounts belonging to lost members 
    • lost accounts with balances of less than $6,000 (small lost member accounts)
    • lost accounts which have been inactive for a period of five years and have insufficient records to ever identify the owner of the account (insoluble lost member accounts)
  • accounts that are inactive low-balance accounts.

See also