Show download pdf controls
  • Searching for lost super

    Reuniting Australians with their super – a new law to protect your superannuation savings starts from 1 July 2019. Super providers will be required to pay inactive low-balance accounts to the ATO. We will also be able to proactively reunite unclaimed super money we hold for you into one of your active super accounts. Check or subscribe to our ‘What’s New’ for the latest updates.

    About this form

    Form and instructions for super account holders to request a search for lost super using the lost members register and unclaimed super money register. (NAT 2476)

    How to obtain this form

    You can download this form in Portable Document Format (PDF) – download Searching for lost super (NAT 2476, PDF, 256KB)This link will download a file.


    Who should complete this form?

    You should complete this form if you want us to search our lost members register and unclaimed super money register for any super you may have lost.

    Who can have lost super?

    Your super fund will report you as a lost member if either:

    • they have not been able to contact you
    • they have not received any contributions or rollover amounts for you in the last five years
    • your account was transferred from another fund as a lost member account and no new address has been found.

    The ATO maintains a register of reported lost members but the super fund still holds your monies.

    Who can have unclaimed super?

    Super funds are required to report and pay unclaimed super money to us twice a year. The following are the unclaimed monies that we may hold on your behalf:

    • unclaimed super money for       
      • a member 65 years old or older
      • a non-member spouse
      • a deceased member.
    • unclaimed super money of former temporary residents
    • certain accounts belonging to lost members        
      • lost accounts with balances of less than $6,000 (small lost member accounts)
      • lost accounts which have been inactive for a period of five years and have insufficient records to ever identify the owner of the account (insoluble lost member accounts)
    • Accounts that are inactive low-balance accounts.

    After completing this form

    After you complete this form, send it to us at:

    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 3578
    ALBURY NSW 2640

    We will use the information you provide to check for any possible matches on the lost members and unclaimed super money registers. We will write to you to let you know whether or not we have found a possible match or if we need more information.

    How else can I search for lost and unclaimed super

    You can also search for your lost and unclaimed super by logging on or creating a myGovExternal Link account.

    Next steps:

    See also:

    Last modified: 29 Mar 2019QC 19313