Self-managed superannuation fund independent auditor's report
You should use this report if you:
- are an approved self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF) auditor
- have been appointed by a trustee of an SMSF to give a report on the operation of that fund for an income year.
An approved SMSF auditor is an auditor who is registered with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC). ASIC issues each approved SMSF auditor with an SMSF auditor number (SAN). You must include your SAN when completing this report.
The report available at the link above is effective for reporting periods starting on or after 1 July 2014. You may use this report for audits completed for earlier periods. However, you must take care to comply with the auditing standards and legislation that applied to that earlier period.
This report will only be reissued when changes are made.
End of attention
SMSF auditors must comply with prescribed independence requirements as set out in the Accounting Professional and Ethical Standards Board’s pronouncement, APES 110 Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants.
Some threats to independence can only be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by declining or removing yourself from the audit engagement – this includes an engagement to audit the fund where you:
- are a trustee or director of a corporate trustee or a member of the fund
- are a relative or close associate of a trustee or director of a corporate trustee or a member of the fund
- personally have prepared the accounts and the statements for the fund being audited
- provide advice (such as financial or investment) to the fund being audited.
The audit report now includes a specific commitment that the auditor has complied with auditor independence requirements prescribed by the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Regulations 1994 (SISR).
End of attention
Further guidance on auditor independence and adherence to APES 110 is available in the Joint Accounting Bodies publication Independence Guide as well as in the AUASB's Guidance Statement GS 009 Auditing Self Managed Superannuation Funds on their website auasb.gov.auExternal Link
Last modified: 24 Jul 2015QC 17604