Entitlements by country

Different countries have different entitlement packages. Click on your country of origin from the list below to see the entitlement package that applies to you. This will allow you to work out your entitlements as a mission, post or individual.

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Austria, Azerbaijan

Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria

Cameroon, Canada, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic

Denmark, Dominian Republic

East Timor, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, European Union

Fiji, Finland, France

Gabon, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece

Haiti, Holy See, Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office (HKETO), Hungary

Iceland, India, Indonesia, (Mission; Post) Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy

Jamaica, Japan, Jordan

Kenya, Kiribati, Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of), Korea (Republic of), Kosovo, Kuwait

Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg

Macedonia (Republic of), Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Mongolia, Morocco, Myanmar

Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway


Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, PNG, Poland, Portugal


Romania, Russia

Samoa, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria

Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO), Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Tuvalu  

UAE, Uganda, UK, Ukraine, Uruguay, USA

Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam


Personal effects

If you are:

  • a privileged individual*, you can import your personal effects into Australia to use during your posting free of all customs duties, taxes and related charges. Personal effects can include a vehicle you have been using in your country of residence or during a previous posting.
  • an administrative and technical staff member, or a consular employee, you can import your personal effects free of all customs duties, taxes and related charges only within the first six months of starting your posting.

In both cases, you must have been the legal owner of any vehicle before you enter it for home consumption in Australia.

* A 'privileged individual' is the head and other consular officer of the consular post, head and any other member of diplomatic staff of the mission and accredited staff of overseas mission and international organisation.

See also:

Last modified: 08 Jul 2016QC 47789