If you're Norfolk Island resident, you can apply for a TFN at any age. Norfolk Island residents born on the island are Australian citizens.
It is free to apply for a TFN.
If you are unsure of your residency status, check your tax residency.
Find out about how to apply if you're a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor with a valid foreign passport or travel document (visa).
Norfolk Island residents can apply online using myGovID, if you're an Australian citizen and are 15 years old or older with an Australian passport.
If you are unable to use the online application process and you're on the:
- island, you will need to apply through the Office of the Administrator
- Australian mainland, use the Australia Post TFN service.
Norfolk Island residents on the island don't have an online application process available through Australia Post.
To apply through the Office of the Administrator:
- Order the form either onlineExternal Link or by phoning 1300 720 092 – Tax file number – application or enquiry for individuals (NAT 1432).
- Complete the application form.
- Organise certified copies of your identity documents.
- Lodge your application and your identity documents with
Norfolk Island Office of the Administrator
New Military Barracks
KINGSTON NORFOLK ISLAND 2899
Don't send your original identity documents to us as they may not be returned to you.
You should receive your TFN within 28 days after Office of the Administrator receives your completed application and required documents.
We will send your TFN notice to the postal address provided on your application.
We appreciate your patience during the processing period. To prevent delays in processing your application don't lodge another application.
If you haven't received your TFN notice after 28 days, contact us.How Norfolk Island residents of all ages apply for a TFN depending on your circumstances.